• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is it snuffles?

Rowan

Warren Scout
On Thursday I noticed Teddy was sneezing a lot. He's never done this before so I checked his nose, eyes etc but there was no discharge. He was eating, pooping and running around ok so after checking previous threads I decided just to keep a close eye on him. On Friday I still couldn't see any discharge but did see him wiping his nose more frequently so took him to the vet to be on the safe side.

She's put him on a 10 day course of baytril for suspected snuffles. We're on day three now and the baytril doesn't seem to be helping. Am I expecting too much too soon? He's still eating ok and no discharge but he's sneezing more than ever. Poor little thing. :cry:

I don't think it could be an allegy as I haven't changed anything recently. He's on lino and megazorb so no shavings and his hay isn't particularly dusty. He is molting however, but has been for several weeks now without effect.

Am also a little worried as the vet said if at end of 10days there was no improvement it may be worth putting him under a general anaesthitic for further investigation. Is this normal? He obviously had a GA when he was neutered and I know lots of GA's aren't generally a good idea, although he's still less than a year old. This vet came recommended for bunnies so generally think they're rabbit knowledge is good but it just seemed a bit rash. Are there other options/tests to try first?

My bunny has been on a 3 week (20day) course of Baytril with no affect so my vet is changing her over to Septrin. I think the fact that your vet has mentioned putting your bunny under GA so soon after only one try with med's is a bit rash. I would ask about other possible med's first. My bunny may have to go under GA if this second lot doesnt work but thats only after every other option has been tried.

Thanks for the reply. I will definately suggest Septrin before putting him under GA. I also saw a previous thread on here that recommended echinacea to build up their immune system while on the antibiotics. Am going to try this too as guess it can't hurt - you just put a few drops in their water bottle. Hope your bunny responds better to the second course.

Back