• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

problems with Crystle and baby - advice plz

Luciuslop

Alpha Buck
Some of you are aware of all the problems I have had with Crystle, the new bun I got 8 weeks ago. Those who missed some of my previous threads, basically her previous owners were not honest enough to tell me that she was pregnant and she had 5 babies, 4 of whom sadly died and I had to attempt handfeeding the remaining baby as she wouldn't feed him and then her milk dried up.

Anyways, her milk returned after an Oxytocin jab and I have been bringing the baby to her twice a day for feeding. He has not remained in her cage as I was worried about his safety when he was very young and also her husbun has moved back in now - they were so miserable being apart I felt Crystle would be less stressed by him being around.

All has been well till last night. She didn't feed him and hasn't fed him this morning. I tried latching him on whilst she was on her back, but he couldn't get anything out, even though he tried every nipple. He is 17 days old now and is nibbling on hay, but has yet to try nuggets. I did give him the tiny top of a sprig of mint this morning,which he really loved. He will not take goats milk ( I've tried it in a feeding bottle, a syringe and an ordinary drinking bottle ).

I am worried that her milk might have dried up again. She is developing quite a good relationship with him now and will allow him to snuggle up to her, but every time he attempts to suckle she hops off. If he's unfortunate enough to be in the way she will just walk right all over him.

Surely at less than 3 weeks old she will not be starting to wean him yet ? I am getting concerned now as he feels a bit thin to me - I can feel his ribs and spine through his coat. I have put a bottle of goats milk and a bottle of water in his cage and I will try again with her later on tonight. Any other suggestions most welcome :D

Is it possible that because baby is not with her as if she was raising him her body is not responding as it should through the rearing process and therefor her milk will have dried up again?

Is it possible that because baby is not with her as if she was raising him her body is not responding as it should through the rearing process and therefor her milk will have dried up again?

Yes, this is what I think has happened .... so what do I do ? I had to take the baby away when he was very young as she wouldn't feed him and he would have died.

I dont know anything about handrearing with mum contributing but is it too late for her to have another Oxytocin injection and for it to do any good?

Back