• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Horrible Vet

She-Ra

Warren Scout
Went to visit my parents over the weekend in Liverpool and since Neo needed his nails clipped booked him in with a vet there. While we were waiting to be seen a woman came in with a rabbit in cage- she used this cage to bash the front door open with- this was the vet!
When she got Neo out of the pet carrier don't know what she did but she got a little scratch- he's never scratched me. She made a fuss about that and then asked me to hold him while she clipped the nails. She bought out a massive nail clipper, did one nail then realised she should be using a smaller one. As she started with that Neo started to flinch and was whimpering- he's never made a sound before let alone one like that:( I was trying to calm him and she then she made him bleed. He was whimpering so much and she kept saying 'oh shush!' His poor lil heart was going at a million miles an hour. He was distressed all day and at one point in the evening he lay down flat in his play pen and started trembling:( Don't know why someone who seems to have no empathy with animals would become a vet! I wasn't upset that he bled i know that can happen with the most trained people, but the fact that she was so rough with him is what led to it. I'm so annoyed with her and will never take him there again!

Just wanted to get him out of there. The vet we use in London is lovely and i've never taken him to have his nails clipped before- just didn't imagine vets could be like that:(

What a horrible person.

Sounds like a good reason to try to learn to do your bun's manicure/pedicure yourself. :)

The person at the shelter where i got Neo did it and showed me how but i'm so scared of hurting him wanted to take him to a professional- little did i know:(

If you have some good sharp clippers and just remove a tiny amount of nail at a time you should be fine. You could have some styptic powder or cornflour handy just in case you do nick the vein.

If you clip the nails the vein will then retract from the tip of the claw over the next few weeks so you can then clip slightly more next time. Little by little is the way to go.
Your bun will be much more relaxed with you handling him than being taken to a vets.

If you really don't feel happy tackling nail clipping then try to get to your normal vets. :)

If you have some good sharp clippers and just remove a tiny amount of nail at a time you should be fine. You could have some styptic powder or cornflour handy just in case you do nick the vein.

If you clip the nails the vein will then retract from the tip of the claw over the next few weeks so you can then clip slightly more next time. Little by little is the way to go.
Your bun will be much more relaxed with you handling him than being taken to a vets.

If you really don't feel happy tackling nail clipping then try to get to your normal vets. :)

thank you:) That's helpful to know, will try it myself next time- definately don't want him going through anything like that again

Back