• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you do with a pet when it dies

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
Morbid i know:cry: A comment someone made after Lilac died made me wonder what everyone else does when there pets die,my guniea pigs and gerbils are buried in my mums garden but i have now had 3 rabbits privitely cremated so i have there ashes back,it has cost me £135 for Lilac, someone said no way they would pay that for a rabbit:evil:

It all depends, if the rabs die at home i bury them at my mums house, if they pass away at the vets then they are cremated but i don't get there ashes back, it would be far too costly with the number i have, i have had Oakley privatly cremated though and she is now on the mantle peice. And when Baillie was pts he was buried next to mine and Ali's old dogs up on my dads airfield.

Either cremated or buried depending on my finances and where im living. If they are cremated I scatter their ashes in their favourite spot in the garden or I bury them in their favourite spot too :D

i bury mine in the garden, problem is i am now running out of space and will have to rethink what i will do

all mine are cremated except the hamsters which are buried in the garden which i hate because i have a phobia of buring things :oops: strange i know but always think id look stranger taking a hamster to be cremated :oops:

I get most of mine cremated at the vets, and don't get the ashes back.

My real favourites or those that I've had a long time get privately cremated at Antara Pet Crematorium in Gamston. Even with a casket it still costs less than 100 pounds.

Amy

My old rabbit was cremated at the vets and I didn't get them back.

I think I will prob bury mine at home to be honest.

They are not 'just' rabbits but I'm not sure I could justify having them privately cremated.

Helen x

The reason i choose the privite cremation is i didnt like the thought of them going through the insinarator with other animals

With my first few rabbits I did get their ashes back but now I don't. It is expensive and I need to use my money on my sick bunnies that need treatment.
I always buy a bunny ornament or frame a picture of the bunny I have lost that way they are never forgotten.

All my babies come home. We usually bury them and we always buy a permanent plant for them, something that is in flower or looking bright and at it's best at the time when we lose them. That way every year we have a lovely reminder of how they lightened our lives so much.:)

I've had all my pets cremated at the vets and didn't get them back. I hate the thought of burying them in the garden for a fox or something to dig them back up, would be too upsetting :cry:

I have always buried them, I see the body as just a shell so I wouldn't pay a lot of money to get them cremated.

Although saying that, I did hate leaving them when I moved.

Mine were all buried in my parents' and later in my grandparents' garden. I am not sure what I would do here, as we are only renting, and the foxes and badgers would probably try and dig the bodies up again. :(

Mine have all been communally cremated. I dont hold any level of attachment to remains....the creature that I love is no longer there and I personally dont derive any comfort from having the ashes nearby.

Phil however does and I know he would want the cats and the dog to be individualy cremated.

I have mine cremated and left at the vets, It is always one thing I hate asking people when they board their rabbits with me.

We lost Joey last week, and we buried his body at my mother-in-laws and planted a cherry tree for him.

Sadly we are not in our final house, so couldn't do that here. So it's nice he has a special tree there which we can visit whenever we want.

I did find in very difficult to leave him there though. :cry:

My dogs are cremated and the ashes scattered somewhere special.

And anyone else is buried in the garden, with a pretty shrub or something on top.

Marvin piggy went out to join his brother Gary on Friday, he is sharing a Jasmine plant. The buns that I lost last year with the myxy outbreak, have a Holly, with a Rose bush

All our pets have been buried in my parents garden except for Jake who we had cremated but not individual so we didn't get the remains back. To me it is their lives which are important rather than afterwards, however I don't like thinking about my parents moving out of the house...

Hannah

I had my beautiful Starlight cremated privately, she was my first pet, and she passed away after 6 and a half years. The crematory i took her to in Brentwood i think it was, was lovely, they had a room where you can lay their body on a velvet cushion at the front and sit with thenm as long as you want, when you go, they lit the candle in the room as a sign of remembrance, though i was worried on the way home that the candle might fall over and set her alight >.< And i hated leaving her. Hardest thing i had to do

Back