• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit uses bed as toilet!

Cornishlass

Mama Doe
Help please! My rabbit is 9 weeks old - I've had him for one. He keeps using his bed area as a toilet! I provided a litter tray in the run part of his hutch but he prefers to go in the dark side and use his bed as a toilet! I have caught him sleeping in the litter tray I provided. What should I do?

I want him to use a litter tray in his hutch to aid cleaning but he nests in there and goes to the straw side to poo etc!!

the best thing to do is put his litter tray in his bed section, and pile it up with loads of hay, lots of people do this. You can either leave it in there, or after a few weeks move the tray out and see if he continues to use his tray.

My buns always sleep in their litter tray too. What do you put in your bun's litter tray? I put maegazorb covered in a layer of hay so they tend to sit in it and eat and poop at the same time. So long has it's changed regular and they are not sitting in wet bedding it isn't a problem. To keep the sleeping area cleaner you could try moving the tray inside that area.

He's still very young and it will take a while to become fully litter trained. I'd suggest supplying 2 litter trays, putting one where he toilets now and one where you'd like him to toilet. You can put some soiled bedding the the litter tray you'd prefer him to use, but he may still decide he prefers his side, but it'll make cleaning out much easier. :)

Mine still use their bed area as a toilet and they are 9 months old. I just clean the bed area everyday and it works well. Their bed area is just a big litter tray really, just no litter tray is present (if you see what I'm saying).:D

let him choose how he uses his hutch :) if he toilets in the "bed" area, just put the tray there, and have something snuggly for a bed in the other section. as long as there is a tray where he wants to wee, cleaning out will be much easier for you.

mine always choose the closed in bit for a toilet, its the way of rabbtis i think!

Mine also use their bed area as a toilet, I've tried putting litter trays in there, but they use any space availabl but their litter tray, little devils lol. I just clean out the bed/toilet area often and keep it clean.

Another new bunny keeper that has to realize that it is not us that keeps rabbits, it is them that keep us - usually twisted around their little paws!!!
Bunnies tell us where they want stuff, not usually the other way round :roll:

Back