• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What do you think this could be?

hippo27

Young Bun
Further to my previous thread I have attatched some photees

Quick summary is that over a month ago we found a scab on her lip- which we thought was just a scrape but it grew at such an alarming rate that we took her to a vet.
They thought it was just a trauma injury gone wrong and so removed it under GA and stiched up the wound. We had it analysed but the results came back clear
All healed well initially but 2 weeks ago we noticed it had come back and a second one had grown.
There is alos a similar scan on her hock.
Vets this time round don't know what it is and are seeking 'expert' opinions but they are taking their time
Any ideas folks........

IMG_0437-1.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

Are her genitals affected too?

Poor girl, it looks uncomfortable :cry:

Will your Vet try a course of Penicillin?

No her undercarriage is just fine!
I had suspected syphilis following other threads on here and my own bit of digging but when I asked the vet he was very much ummming and ahhhhing.
My hope was that the wonderful people of RU might be able to shed some light and indeed it looks like you can!:D
I shall have to harrass Mr Veterinarian in the morning

:wave: winnie had excalty the same problem and it is syphilis. she had 3 lots of jabs, 1 a week of depocilin and it has gone, has signs of it when she is under the weather. she didnt have it anywhere else. other then that she is fine!

Yep that is exactly what Gus looked like, Syphilis. He has three depocillin injections three days apart, sorted it out really quickly!

Last edited:
I noticed that the top of her nose and below her nose in the lip crease also seems to be affected by small swellings. Take her back to the vet and hope she gets better soon. :)

How's the bun? I hope the vet trip went well and you've been able to start some treatment. Keep us updated.:)

Nope, I have called the vets 3 times now and they haven't put me through to the vet, so I have left messages and he still hasn't rung me back.
To say I am a little irate would be an understatement
My plan is to ring first thing again tomorrow and lodge a complaint with the practice manager. Failing no action from them I guess I will have to find a new vet.
It is a pity as I chose them because although pricey they have a good manner with my rabbits but they have had 3 working days to contact me and still nothing.
So, if anyone has any vet recommendations for south brum I may well be needing them

Back