• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Milky fluid from eye

chloaster

Warren Veteran
Napoleon has had a watery eye since he arrived and we have been treating it with fuci (thalmic) I think it is - when I put the cream in tonight I noticed the eye is very watery but a milky colour - not thick - any ideas? Thanks

Just posted this on another thread:

When Macks eye's are bad he produces a milky fluid....he relapsed with a severe infection last week and had to go on anti-inflammatories and analgesic too as it hurt him for me to touch his eye.

Fucithalmic and oral Baytril has cleared it up again but he is on a much longer course than last time in the hope we may be able to properly knock it on the head.

The next step will be another attempt at a duct flush otherwise

Noel had this, he had a course of oxytetrin for eye infection and abcess.
Then eye drops twice a day and is still having his eyes flushed.

Lots of vibesxx

:wave: have this quite often in a couple of mine, they use chloremphanical drops twice aday and have the tear ducts flushed once a week, and the last flush is usually the chloremphanical as it coats the tear duct. usually 2-3 flushing sort it out and only then comes back once maybe twice in a year rather then all the time.

Thanks for that guys. I have been recommended the chlorophenacol so will have a chat with the vet about it tomorrow when we go in. :D

Does anyone know why Cassius' eyes may have filled with a white liquid shortly after he died? He never had any eye problems and was the first deceased bun I have seen it in.

ETA- Which is the correct spelling of the chloremphenical? I just googled and the one with the most results came up with a lot of information about it being an immuno-suppressant and that it slows growth.

Last edited:
I have had this in several of my buns and for different reasons, it is an infection but usually not the main one. i have had it because of a misformed tear duct, snuffles, front tooth roots being too long, abcess' and osteo mysytis (bone abcess) every bun i have had it in has had to have eye drops baytril and flushings to keep them clear and i have found everyone to be very difficult to clear up and keep clear.

Well just got back from the vet and Napoleon has had his ducts flushed, been advised not to use the chlorophenacol (not sure if that is the correct spelling or not but I think it was copied off the box before it was sent to me) and have been given a weeks course of Baytril and Tiacil instead. Apparently there was a bit of gunk in the ducts but flushed through well.

Not sure why it would come up after Cassius died Sooz - if I were to guess I'd ask if maybe he had some fluid in his lungs and if this could maybe come up to the nose and into the eyes?

Back