• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Bunnies

sterelli

New Kit
Hi,
I have a conti x doe and I've just bought a conti buck which I want to bond with my girl (they are both neuted). What behaviour do I need to look out for? Am I to expect a bit of rough and tumble? I realise they must meet on neutral ground but thats it!!!
Please help!

:wave: Hi,

If you can get someone used to bonding to do it for you that would be best (it can be nerve-wracking for those of us not experienced and if 2 large buns fight I imagine it's not easy to separate :shock:). I've never bonded although I've observed at the start and had newly bonded buns who fought, and it can be hair-raising. You need to know when to intervene yet try to be hands off as much as possible. Knowing a fair bit about rabbit body language and keeping a cool head is really useful. Your local rescue (for a small donation) or someone on here might be able to assist / do it for you.

From listening to others on here, some of the 'rules' I can think of are:
Neutral territory means somewhere neither has been.
You will need to set aside a few days to do it and be prepared to have them inside with you at night so you can split if anything kicks off.
Keep them in a small, constant space (like a bathroom) you can get to quickly and avoid giving them anything they can become territorial over (litter trays, food bowls, etc). Just scatter the food about.
Some people recommend starting with a car ride (place buns in a carrier) as they may be nervous and this encourages them to seek comfort in the other (if you have a carrier big enough for conti's, plus 2 people- 1 to drive, 1 to watch buns).
Humping, fur pulling and chasing is all normal, sorting out hierarchy. Do not intervene in this as it will prolong matters.
Full on fighting not good, intervene immediately. Keep a broom handy at all times in case you need to separate so you don't get bitten.
Ignoring each other in the early period is a good sign. Grooming and snuggling each other is very promising indeed.

Others on here will think of plenty more...anyone?
Good luck!!

Back