• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP!!! Orphan wild baby bun - Update - He's gone

A lady brought a wild baby bun into work today asking if we could put it in adoption. I explained why we couldn't and offered to take the bun from her. I think it's about 4 weeks old, but is pretty lifeless and obviously petrified. I have currently got it in a cage with just hay, a bowl of water and the box it was in. All i have to feed it at the moment is Critical care. It's had one feed so far but was very reluctant to take it. Am I doing the right thing or is it suffering? Just dont know what to do for the best!

Last edited:
personally I'd offer it food and water and just leave it to settle for the night... perhaps get some grass for it too eat too, as that would be what it is used to... good luck

How sure are you about 4 weeks? By then it should be out and eating grass with it's mum, almost totally weaned. I wonder if its been caught be something and it in shock or has an injury. Might be an idea to pop it to a vet for some fluids if it isn't moving about much. Does it seem dehydrated (if you pinch the skin does it bunch of spring back?)

Syringing water at this point will probably do as much good as critical care. As it's grown up wild it would be fine to leave it with grass to eat as that will be normal to it plus has a water content to help with fluid :)

If you've got a wildlife hospital near you they may help :)

Tam

Age is a pure guess based on the size. Eyes are open and I have found some hay in the mouth. It's got grass hay and a shallow bowl of water but I'm worried about it drowning. It cant seem to hold its head up, although it feels a good weight. There are no injuries, I've checked about 3 times! Dehydration was the first thing I checked and it's fine. I always thought I knew what I was doing with bunnies but at the moment I feel useless :cry:

TBH I don't think you can do much. Make sure it is warm, in a dark place and has a shallow bowl of water, plenty of hay and some grass.
Unless you could get it to a wildlife hospital? Although if it is so stressed that may make it worse.

ps don't underestimate the power of warmth :D

Good Luck

As long as it has a steady low level warmth that should be good :D
When I was handrearing Baby the first day it was very cold and did not move much, by the third day it was waking me up all through the night :shock:
Can it lift its head yet, that does sound a bit worrying :?

It could be just exhausted. I'd be inclined to maybe just wet some grass and leave it in a shallow saucer til you know it has neck strength. Keep warm and allow to rest over night and then pop it along to your vet tomorrow, it should be free for wild animals.

Back