• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Netherland Dwarf aborted her baby

My Black Otter female has aborted her baby, I found it in her litter tray, perfectly formed, very tiny but dead. I was devastated.:cry: She seems ok in herself as she is eating and drinking normally. My question is could she still be pregnant? This was her first litter. Should I take her to the vet, She seems quite content and acting normally.

Netherland dwarfs are prone to producing super dwarf sized babies which don't survive. I would take her to the vet so he came make sure there are no more dead babies inside.

From the sounds of it you wish to continue breeding from her. Unless you are breeding for showing I think this would probably be a mistake as you are unlikely to make money from it but if you want to go ahead , If I were you I would seek advice from a local experienced nethie breeder who .can advise you You should be able to get in contact with one here:

http://www.thebrc.org/

Last edited:
I would take her to the Vet tomorrow to get her checked over
I am sorry the baby died :cry:
If your Nethie Doe is still living with an entire Buck she may well now be pregnant again. Given what has just happened this may not be ideal. So another reason to consult your Vet

Janex

Yes, it sounds like a 'peanut' a baby that has double the drawfing gene which causes it to be very tiny. If you are breeding from Nethie's you need to know the mum & dads genetics otherwise you could have these frequently in litters :(

Tamsin

Sadly these crop up now and again in all 'dwarf' breeds. Yo can have litters with 'peanuts and ordinary sized babies

Netherland Dwarf that aborted her baby

She's doing fine. Took her to the vet tonight who gave her a scan and good check up. There were no more babies, so she just had the one that had died. Both Fudge and Oscar are indoor rabbits with their own cages, although this was a planned breeding we have decided not to breed them again and they are both going to be doctored(I said that in a whisper, I dont want them to hear!!!!):lol: as long as they are healthy and happy, which they are then, thats ok. Thanks for all your help and advice.

I'm sorry that this litter didn't work out. Very pleased you've decided not to breed again and that they'll both be neutered, happy housepets. :D I hope they give you many years of happiness and that you stick around here to show us all lots of piccies! :wave: :D

AMETHYST

Yes, it sounds like a 'peanut' a baby that has double the drawfing gene which causes it to be very tiny. If you are breeding from Nethie's you need to know the mum & dads genetics otherwise you could have these frequently in litters :(

Tamsin

I didn't know that, as a child my sister and I both had Nethies and my dad bred them but the babies always died :cry: At least now that solves the mystery of why, thanks

Back