• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hutch advice for 2 french lops plssss!

lou0504

Warren Scout
Hi all i desp need some advice pls, as you will see ive posted on here before, i thought i was being a nice mummy by giving my 2 french lops a lovely big shed as theyre home and they are very spoilt. They have the run off the whole garden all day, and a warm, clean, bedroom at night with theyre toys, but that doesnt seem to satisfy them :shock:!, i got up this morn after putting them to bed last night and yet again 4th time! theyve burrowed a hole out the side of the shed and got out and they just sat stuffing the grass and looked up at me!:? very lucky not to have been harmed by a fox or anything which really worried me, ive tried occupiying their minds with cardboard boxes etc but nothing works, so ive come to the conclusion they will have to go back in a hutch. But every hutch i see just simply doesnt seem big enough for 2 french lops, they are bonded and wont be without eachother. Could anyone that has a bonded pair of large rabbits pls help me out with a pic of what u would call a suffcient size hutch for them, baring in mind they are out all day every day now. I would love to see other peoples to put my mind at rest and give me and idea what to look out for.:) many thanks x

Is your hutch tounge and groove or just overlap? Does it have a solid wood floor or just chipboard? I think overlap and chipboard would be very easy to chew out of whilst tounge and groove and solid wood floor would be much harder. If you have to have the cheaper option shed you could try lining it with mdf and lino on top which would make it harder to get out of AND easier to clean. I'd also attach a run which they can have access to during the night as long as it is secured 360 degrees with mesh. You can cover the mesh with bark chips or turf., The more space they can have the better and it might cub some of their wonder lust....also lots of things they can chew like apple or willow branches

Can you not secure the shed to keep them safe inside?

Which part of the shed are they getting out of ?

hutch advice

hi steph i see u said you found a man on ebay to do it for you, may i ask how much it was pls? thanks

hutch advice

hi ecudc, thanks for u advice too, yes its a cheap shed its just overlap and chipboard floor, i have secured it at the moment so they can no longer get out. I have thought about attaching a run to it but tbh if i start sawing to add a run it prob wont be worth doing as its obviously very easy for them to munch threw. I have a 2 storey hutch sat in the garden they was in when they were abit younger and they loved it and still jump in now when theyre playing in the garden but i just feel its 2 small. I cant afford to do something really expensive, im looking out for a more expensive stronger shed.

I think it was £150 I wanted the wire inside to cover all wood, stop the chewers :roll: The house was joiner made and I managed to buy it asnew but it did cost alot. It had a run connected but I ditched the run and had the aviary made. I like it as they have plenty of space upstairs and none wasted down. I know if I tried to chewproof a shed they would fine a way to eat it even though they have plenty of wood chews, logs etc :lol:

I have the same problem with my french lop! She chews absolutely everything! The shed she is in however is proving difficult!! This is soon to change as im moving house and i have to take a different shed! So im going to have to chew-proof it, as she is toooo big to go in a hutch! xxx

i take it all french lops chew?:lol:bluebells a nightmare for it.shes in a concrete shed so cant chew out although she keeps chewing the wire on her hutch which aint good.x:evil:

Back