• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunny very scared!

sasha_108

Warren Scout
I have just picked up our two new bunnies an hour ago, and one was straight out and about, having a good nose, eating food and hay, but the other eventually came out of the carrier and shot off into the bedroom, and hasn't been seen since! I checked on her twice, and she is stood in the corner, on her hind legs, with her body pressed right up aginst the hutch wall and her eyes wide with fright. She doesn't like the other bunny going in there either and thumps when it does venture in.
What can I do for her? She isn't eating, and I expected her too be scared but not this bad. I have tried to leave them to it, and have been watching from the kitchen window instead of sitting outside.

Please help!

how old are they? were they neutered? where have they come from? (also were they previously house/garden buns) were they previously bonded? sorry lots of qs but more info needed to help with better advice x

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. They are both from a breeder. I know this isn't great but I had already chose one at 2 weeks old before I knew of this site. The other one is a litter mate, which we chose as they got on so well together, and were constantly with each other. They are 8 weeks old today so not Neutered yet.

Feel bad about posting this today of all days, sorry everyone, I hadn't se3en the thread about Su before I posted this. I'm sure you all have other things on your minds today.

x

I would make sure that the timid bun has access to hay and water in the part of the hutch he/she is hiding in and leave them to settle in as long as they are secure. They just need time to settle in. Keep an eye out to make sure they are eating and pooing.

Do you know what sex they are? What breed are they? :)

The bunny that seems more bold is probably just as nervous in the new environment but is using eating as a displacement activity to take his/her mind off things.

They are Male and female (don't worry they will be seperated within the next couple of weeks until they are 'done'!) They are Rex, the female is a light brown colour and the male is white and orange english marked.
Must post piccies later, although they will be older ones from when they were still at the breeders as they are too scared for photos today.

They sound lovely. Congratulations. :D

I guess it's just the change from being indoors in the breeders rabbitry to out in the open that has thrown them.
I've only ever had buns from show breeders and they have always been very outgoing and well used to handling etc. I'm sure your babies will be fine in a few days. The most important thing is that they are eating, drinking and going to the toilet and that they have somewhere to hide away while they feel the need. Maybe think about covering half your run for a week or so so they don't feel so exposed.

There will be people here more knowledgeable than me to advise but I think you may be able to keep them together if you have the male neutered at 16 weeks and the doe at 6 months. That way you won't have to rebond them later. I could be wrong so wait for someone else to advise.

Think we may be okay now, she has emerged! There are poops and wees in there but have only actually seen the boy doing them! I must make a decision on names now lol!
The breeder we used is also a show breeder. None of this litter were up to show stardards so all 8 were available. They are both beautiful to me though!

:wave: at pets at home or other pet shops, they do a product for rabbits called serene-um drops, it relaxes and sooths bunnies that are getting themselves stressed. it does work as use it on my gang or resuce remedy spray as that can be sprayed on bunny. hope it works.:!:

I have got some rescue remedy spray actually, so just spay it on their body?
Think I have some Serene-um as well, although that was for the dog.

Back