• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fox got into the garden last night!

Sugarbunny

Warren Scout
We were eating dinner last night and I could hear a banging noise - just thought it was our neighbour in the garden but when I looked there was a huge fox by the hutches and it was Angel stamping her foot like mad! I've never heard a rabbit thump so much! Merry and Pippin were also thumping. My husband and I raced outside and the fox diappeared... but we don't know how he managed to get in - the garden is very secure - does anyone know of a fox getting over a 6 foot high fence? Angel stopped thumping when we opened the hutch a stroked her, but started again when we closed the lid. I thought the best thing to do was completely cover the hutch and run so she would feel completely secure and this seemed to work! Merry and Pippin didn't seem quite a bad but were still pretty scared!

Will have to check with next door neighbours to see if they saw the fox to try and work out where he got in!

sadly foxes can climb ery hiigh fences 6ft sounds high but a fox could easily scale it, eg if a cat can get over it or onto it so can a fox glad bunz ok

Glad your buns are ok. You could try buying some fox deterrants I guess, but I think a 6ft fence would be no problem to them.

Thanks for the replies... had no idea they could scale a fence this high! Guess we will just have to keep a close eye out!:wave:

Just make sure you have bolts rather than the sliding catches the hutches come with - I use bolts and also padlocks over my hutches and runs... Cover them over of a night so the bunnies cant see the foxes and to help prevent a break in.

I've seen a fox climb a 6ft fence with 2ft of trellice on the top.... theyre wonderful climbers and jumpers. Please 'up' your security now Mr Fox knows there are buns about. Double locks and try and cover the fronts of hutches, ideally with shutters or boardm but a tarpaulin at the very least least. Foxes are motivated by sight, not just smell and the sight of a frightened bunny is enough to make Mr Fox persevere.

scary isn't it! i have one that keeps coming in and it jumps onto my 6ft wall with ease! Luckily my bunnies are very safe but it's still scared me to death the first time I saw it! The can be very determined so please make sure you take all percautions to keep them safe, which i sure you have done already. someone told me about a battery operated device that squirts water if the fox comes past and they done' like it apparently. I am going to have a look around and see if i can get something.

Back