• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding widowed rabbits

pepsiandcokey

Young Bun
any advice about how to bond a neutured 9 mnth female with a neutered male after the female has lost her pair bond? ( house rabbits with access to everywhere 24/7- if they behave)
At the moment my female is ok in the day, running around and binkying and basically ok unless i leave teh room and shut her out, but at night i can tell she misses her little friend. they used to cuddle at night.
we had no problems bonding her with her other friend, in fact there was no fighting at all, she just took to him straight away. i think she knows her friend isnt coming back when he died i layed him in the cage and put her in it too. she groomed him for a few minutes.
i may have a 1 yr neatured male by the end of next week and just would appreciate peoples views/experiences.
cheers
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I had to rebond Inky when his first girlfriend, Floss, died. She died shortly after they were bonded but he really did like her.

I rebonded him with another rabbit, Smokey, who had also lost her partner about 4 days later. I just took it like I would any other bonding and they just clicked from the minute they saw each other, which was lucky!

Bif lay down to die 4 days after she lost her husbun oscar....i had bertie borrowed to get her up again and in the kitchen he washed away her pain and they snuggled togehter for over an hour. but i stupidly put them togehter and all hell let loose..she was the aggressor:shock:

she had to have a dental a few weeks later but it took about a month to fully bond them..she was the new adition when we had oscar..but when he died she became boss of the house and so bertie was the inturder...be aware that this is very very common....

try giving her a cuddly toy at night...if shes eating drinking playing and running aorund and binkying then its a very good sign..dont rush into bonding her and a new bun....

i had to...or shed have died..of course bertie has lived with us ever since but they became unbonded new years eve:( now bertie has one end of the lounge with our other frenchie willow whos a bossier wife than bif! bif and bandit were also unbonded fromt he 4some so he is in a crate next to her and they have exercised together sometimes its ok sometimes they fight all out. but the vet says itll be in both best interests to rebond the two little nervous ones for their health and happiness.

i agree they need a new husbun just dont feel rushed.

Back