• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spey

MelanieO

Young Bun
Harriet is just under 6 months now and I am so shocked how much she has changed. She used to love being picked up and the fuss but now I cannot do anything with her. She will come to me but if I try to stroke her she will bolt or if I do manage to pick her up she freaks out, even to the extend of weeing on me.:oops:

She is weeing all over the hutch and obviously spraying- the inside of the hutch is now white over. She is very bossy over Alfie but she has always been like this.

Will she let me handle her more and give her the attention when she is speyed?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.:)
Mel

Beatrix was like that

we got them both from a lady who didnt have the time for them

Norman was neutered beatrix wasnt,they loved each other but she was moody and spent time digging and i couldnt touch her.Rather than waiting for them to settle in,I rang the vet and got her in to be spayed the next day,within 2 weeks she was calmer and more friendly and she is now three months on just a lovely calm bunny and of course she doesnt make nests and i dont have to worry about her getting uterine cancer

Im hoping she will calm down and allow me pick her up again, I would love the urine spraying to go aswell as this has started bout 5 weeks ago.

I have just cleaned them out and Harriet has just cut my boyfriends hand bandly with her nails. I do not know why she hates being picked up now when before you could do ANYTHING with her. I have just thrown a towel on her and cuddled her like that so if she kicked or urinated on me it would be ok. I also thought she might feel safer, I just cuddled and stroked her ears and head. Is this a good way to try and handle her without us both getting injured?
X

Last edited:
Personally, if one of my bunnies doesn't want to be picked up and I don't have to (if they're ill, you do have to), I leave them be, they're pray animals and most don't like it very much. Most rabbits are happier being fussed on the ground anyway.

If you have her spayed, she will calm down a lot and will certainly stop spraying and bullying your male. She will probably go back to being more friendly too.

Back