• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spey

MelanieO

Young Bun
Harriet is just under 6 months now and I am so shocked how much she has changed. She used to love being picked up and the fuss but now I cannot do anything with her. She will come to me but if I try to stroke her she will bolt or if I do manage to pick her up she freaks out, even to the extend of weeing on me.:oops:

She is weeing all over the hutch and obviously spraying- the inside of the hutch is now white over. She is very bossy over Alfie but she has always been like this.

Will she let me handle her more and give her the attention when she is speyed? :roll:

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Mel

no one can say for certain it could just be her temprement, but generally after a month thier hormones calm down enough that they are generally freindlier...sounds like she is hormonal. also remember buns dont like being picked up so sit on floor and let her come to you. xx

they do a bit as a rule but does take at least 6 months for their hormones to drop but the weeing usually stops right away. sadly does are the feisty ones and have the bags or feisty character...which i do adore..ive found males as a rule friendlier and more affectionate but then i recall our first bun..ididnt undertsand bunny body language and now i know she loved me a lot....as much as i loved her....but shes the bossiest bun ive ever known and the most territorial.she even chased my postman out of my halway onemorning:oops:

willow my french lop doe was always friendly and outgoing she remained the same after her speybut after becoming unbonded formt he group of 4 and her living with bertie my other frenchie at one end of the lounge and the two littlies at the other shes become awful..shes moody..bad tempered....not biting or lunging but hates been touched at all by humans..she adores the cats making a fuss of her however and poor berties being a henpecked hubby and shes mounting and humping him like mad like whent hey were first bonding.

does are like that so unpredictable its what i love about them..theyre like cats!

bifs been bad tempered etc too and has gone for me a fair few times a day but also last night shesuddenly came up to and demanded a nice long nose rub and ear tickle!

buns are like cats in that they like to come to you even if they were cuddly babies....they dont like being picked up. my mums findong this with her 5 month old doe who a few weeks ago was sleeping on her lap for an hour and a half at a time:shock: mums gutted but her afection in other ways makes up for it. however today shes discovered shes weeing tiny amounts around her lounge....mm roll on spay time!

just appreciate her hormones are haywire worse than a woman with severe pmt! or a pregnant woman with mood swings!!

once spayed the hormone levels drop and she will clam down abit maybe not compleely but maybe she will only time will tell.

if you dont have her done then shell be hell one arht..best to ask vet if hell spay her now to prevent her behaviour becomeing a learned patern.

good luck!

Back