• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anyone got any syphilis piccies

hippo27

Young Bun
Not a nice subject I know (sorry guys:oops:)
But I am wondering if my bun has it as she has growths on her mouth that are like overgrown scab formations.
She only had one initially and that was removed under GA and sent for analysis which was clear (not entirely sure what they tested for?)

However it has grown back and now there are more on her lips and one on her hock (her nether regions are fine)

Syphilis is the only thing I can think of that even vaguely matches the description but any piccies I can find looks different
We have been back to the vets but they don't know whats wrong:cry: and are awaiting a call back from a ' top bunny expert'- however the longer this takes the more the growths grow and the more worried I get.
Any thoughts on what else it could be or any piccies would be appreciated.

Have you got a piccy of your bun?

Most of the syphilis photos I've seen are quite advanced cases so the scabs look quite scary!

Tam

Not yet but am thinking will take some tomorrow and post then.
The vets have said if the 'rabbit expert' doesn't know then they will email some photos off to america (how that will help I'm not sure!)
It is a two person job man handling the little madam so once I have an extra pair of hands I will get them posted for some much needed RU opinions on the matter!

treponamatosis3.jpg

treponamatosis2.jpg

treponamatosis1.jpg

Janex

Our Herbie had syphilis last year, but only had scabs on his face. They were just above and below the lips and looked like those in the pictures but not quite as crusty. My vet didn't want to use penicillin (was concerned about possible complications) and thus tried to find a different cause for them - had them tested and shaved poor Herb's face and gave us a facial scrub - which we never used.

Thankfully I contacted the breeder he came from to ask if he could possibly have syphilis. It turned out she works for an animal pharmaceutical company and is licenced to use drugs. She treated Herb with the penicillin and the scabs lessened immediately. She told us she has never had problems with using penicillin with bunnies.

I wonder if it is worth asking your vet if they could try the penicillin to see if there is any change in the scabs. Have they tried any treatment up to yet?

I hope your bunny is soon on the mend.

Vanessa xx

No they haven't tried anything else yet.
The first scab they removed and stitched under GA as they thought it was a cut that had just gone a bit mad.
Although its not a cost issue (she is my bunny and I love her to bits) it cost £200 just for the op and analysis of the original scab so I don't really what to get into trying lots and lots of different remedies that'might' work.
I guess its good that they are waiting for expert opinion unitl they do something but I'm not fond of the wait and it worries me that they don't know in the 1st place.
Thanks for piccies Jane- I had seen the first one before - they look simialr but no where near as aggresive as that.
I am still waiting for my chief photographer but will post bunny piccie asap

My Gus has just got over syphilis, he had it mostly on his genitals but had a small spot on his chin. At first it looked like a rice crispy stuck on there, end up it you know what I mean, that then turned into an area of scabbed skin about the size of a 5p. I had to see about 4 vet before getting the correct diagnosis. I would mention it to the vet. I wouls ask it they can treat with penicilin, much quicker than waiting for test results.

Last edited:
Back