• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

strange noises?

sheridan

Warren Scout
Hey guys,
I havent been around for a while but now really need some help.
quick reminder. I have 2 bunnies, sisters Furby and Ellie who are now 2 years old. they are both outdoor bunnies.

Today a problem has occurred.
Earlier on, I was looking out the window watching the 2 of them sleep in the top floor of the hutch. All of a sudden, Ellie runs out,, like she has oken up. I take my nephew out to see her and she is sprawled out in a corner across the porch. This isnt normal for her so I go to her. She starts making some noises which I have never heard before, almost like someone is pursing their lips and making a kind of farting noise? ( sorry about the description,struggling with it.)
I leave her for a while but later go to put her back in the hutch. She stays on ot for a while but then hides in a different corner. I put her back in then close the run.
I went to check on her just now and for the first time ever, she is sitting out in the run in a corner, nowhere near the hutch.

Im really getting worried about her. Any Ideas why she is making that noise? ellie usually runs away when I try and stroke her but this time she just sat totally still for quite some time.

any help would be great

it sounds like maybe she in pain? is she possibly grinding her teeth? my buns only do that when in pain, could be gassey in tummy? if you can pick her up give her tum a feel check its not hard, also is she eating/drinking/poohing normal?
could something insect type have bitten or stung her? i would pop her to vet x

its definately not grinding of teeth, which is why im confused.
i wondered if it could be something had spooked her?

we have foxes in the bottom of the next door garden, but they have been there for 2 years and the bunnies have never been bothered,
also we sometimes have a problem with rats due to the rabbits food, but again that has been there for a long time.( we have tried everything believe me).

she came out of the hutch and did her usual sniffing everything, eating crunchy leaves, but then just sat there.

I will call the emergency vet just now and see what they say

i spoke to the vet who says that she sounds ok and the main thing would be to keep an eye on her and to see how she goes overnight.
Im debating whether or not to move her into the conservatory in the run to see if that is any better. My one concern is that furby and ellie have never really been apart so Im not sure if separating them would be a good idea?

just an update.
I did as the vet said and separated her, but I think it made it worse. she tried to dig at the door and just sat staring at the hutch through the door. she also started shivering more, so I have moved her back. Furby is tryingt o cuddle up to her.

Now the really bad news. I have been standing outside watching her and she has just started grinding her teeth really loudly when the foxes started howling/screeching and stopped a minute after they stopped. but i dont get why after 2 years has she suddenly been spooked like this.

We cant even get rid of the foxes as its illegal? its sooo annoying!!

It seems as though the foxes are making her anxoius, maybe some sort of sound proofing, although I dont know how you could do that?

I would also get more protection on the hutch if foxes are about, maybe they have been spooked by one getting too close?

i dont know what other protection i could put up. the foxes never actually come close to the hutch because its on a different landing and they dont come up to it.

update from today.
They are both playing outside and when I went to feed them they are once again eating from my hand. They still are slightly spooked but seem to be getting better. lets hope this continues.

Thanks for the replies guys. sometimes you just need a bit of reassurance:D

Back