• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

stasis???? advice pleaseeeeeeeeu/d page 2 all well

sue 1974

Alpha Buck
my foster rspca bun is normally the first at her food bowl, but tonight when i went to feed her and her sister the sister ate but she just sat there. I have had her a year and in that time this had never happened.

I tried to hand feed her but she didn't want to know, so i picked her up to check her bum, as usual she struggled when i put her down her back legs were splayed out and she could hardly move.

I called the emergency vets and rushed her there. the vet checked her and said she was fine, i thought she had broken her back, but no, so he gave her the gut stimulation injection to get her to eat, and if no better in morning i need to take her back.

she is still not herself and just sits in the corner.

any ideas?

Last edited:
yes she had pain relief and gut stimulant. her legs are fine now, though she still not doing much. he gave her a good check over. i have never experienced this and reading other posts it seem to sound like stasis.

Thanks Jack jane for replying:D

I am going offline now, but if she has not had pain relief then you need to contact the Vet again and ask ( demand if necessary ) this is given. A Rabbit in pain, regardless of the source, wont eat.
If she still has hind leg paresis and the Vet has ruled out a spinal injury EC should be considered and she would need to be started on a 6 week course of Panacur.
If she has not eaten or poo'd for several hours despite the gut motility medication she needs Veterinary attention again.

I do hope she improves very soon

Janex

The vet said she was fine? She doesn't sound fine, to be honest. :? Is she pooing?

i can't really tell if she is at the moment, shes is a garden bun also with her sister so obviously hard to tell which one is pooing. she has never been ill in all the time i have had her.

Can you not bring her in? A bunny in stasis loses temperature fast, and really feels the cold.

unfortunatly not i have no cages inside and there is no where i can put her. i have put loads of extra bedding in hutch and am going to keep checking her during the night. thanks for the replies,

I am going to PM you as I have a feeling you are Cambridge area and I have spare indoor cages (dog crates) which you could borrow. You must be able to know if she is poohing and peeing so must split her from her sister overnight.

Oh no . . . its Sarah1974 thats Cambridgeshire - sorry!!

Can anyone else help?

If it is stassis or acute EC its serious.

When I had outdoor bunnies in stasis, I just had them in a litter tray in the kitchen with water and food bowls, with no cage.

i wil bring them into the kitchen overnight, going off line now to sort it out, will let you know how she is in the morning. thanks for all your help

How is she doing this morning? Hope she is feeling a bit better.

You really do need to know if it is her who is pooping so you may need to separate them.

when a rabbit is sick, it cannot fight the cold night and fight the sickness at the same time, just like human. So it's imperative to keep the rabbit warm indoor.

My bun Bernie is sick and have snuffles, not only he's at his own room, I use a oil heater to bring the temp. up 2 more deg. so it's nice and warm for him (it's snowing outside just the other day, so overall temp. is cold)

hi everyone thanks for all your help. yes she is back to her old self this morning, pooing like a trooper and sulking with me:lol:

it was awful and very scary but thank god she is well.

Back