• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cat-proof home for our rabbit

glennie

New Kit
Hi Everyone

I'm writing all the way from Madrid (I'm British but live here).

We have a rabbit indoors but it has become too big for its cage and we are going to move her outdoors.

However, she's going into a garden where there are two cats and we need to protect her.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions here. Our main problem is obviously how to stop the cats getting their paws into the cage.

Grateful for any ideas. Maybe some of you have had this problem.

Hiya,

I would look at large walkin aviaries, I just had one made for my bunnies. Mesh 1"x1/2" should be cat paw proof.

Another option would be to use a baby gate to confine her to one room of the house so she wasn't shut in the cage :)

Tam

why not get an indoors dog crate? put levels in it and she can have run of a bunny proofed room?
if you moving her outdoors be careful of the temp diff being a problem, also i would use galvanised aviary mesh available from most garden stores. if she going out side and you spend less time with her then i would seriously get her neutered and bond with a friend. hope it all goes well a 6x6ft run attatched to a 5x3x2 hutch would be a good start? what breed of bun is she as some need more min room than others (ie obv a nethie needs less than a giant)x

A bun of mine, and the neighbours cat became very good friends, and would sit together in the garden!
Not all cats are enemies.

not all cats are enemies indeed..my mum and dads cat years past used to sit in next dors garden isde by side with her rabit sunbathing atop the bunny hutch:lol:

however hungry cats willhunt buns mercilessly.......

the aviary idea is superb but if you havent got the space etc why not see if theres any pet supp,ies international who will deliver.a run with a covering..we have an 8 panel one with a mesh half side and green panel for sun protection on the other side..and it does deter cats abit....enuff time to go the loo!

i have 2 frenchies who are free roaming..couldnt cage those but the two littlies are caged till exercise time. however in the summer i want to be able to let in fresh air so im putting something very similar to an aviary panel across my doorway and holding it in place with an extending net rod:lol:

im putting insect mesh on it too safety for hoouse buns cats and me!

i have a fairly small green garden but i want to make it safe so im tring to get a quote to make it cat proof both sides so mine odnt get out and neighbours dont get in..espically if they disturb willow our massive frenchie doe as i dont want to pay their vet fees!!:lol:

if you have a 3ft fence or a 6 ft fence you just add fence poles to make it up to about 7ft and use heavy duty green mesh pvc and put it acrooss and on top of the poles make an upside down capital letter L or a letter Y with wood and lean it over so its like securtiy fencing..the Y shape has a bend over each side of the fence and if you want to keep cats out but yours in then its the best solution.

ideas here

http://www.thecatfencecompany.com/thecatfencecompany_002.htm

too pricey but gives you the idea to do it on the cheap:lol:

http://www.purrfectfence.co.uk/

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Pimienta is now in my brother-in-law's garden in her new enlarged home. She's taken on a new lease of life.

The family cats are observing her and look a little bemused, but we hope friendship might soon be in the air. :)

Back