• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oats

drpengie

Wise Old Thumper
Moo is really underweight and I was know that you can use oats to build up their strength. What sort of oats can I use? Can I buy them from the supermarket, like scotts porrige oats, or do I need to go to a health food shop? Also how much do I give? 1 teaspoon?

I just buy normal oats from the supermarket and put a little in their foob bowls. I sometimes add boiled water to them so they expand before eating. Obviously wait for the water to cool though before giving them it :lol:

Pringle has lost a bit of wait again too so shal be heading off to shops later to get some x

It is a good idea to soak oats before giving them to bunnies, otherwise they swell up in their tums and can cause stasis. Bunnies love oats, but they should only be given to sick/older/underweight buns, or they can get overweight very quickly!

I always use coarse oats from a health food shop...I was told not to use the 'quick cook' kind (i.e. most of the main brands) because they swell up quicker.

Just plain old oats, I mix some pellets in too then add boiling water. I will add that Misty has been losing about 100g a month for 3 months (shes an old gal) after feeding the porridge for about 2 week she had put 100g back on :D

Back