• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits kept with other small animals?

the 57 bears

Young Bun
I would like to get a friend for my Eliot, but because my landlord already wasn't happy with one bun, I am not sure it is a good idea to get a second one...
So I was thinking, maybe I can get a smaller animal to keep him company when I'm away. I do know that it's not such a brilliant idea, but maybe you guys can give me some advice. Is there a rodent that rabbits can live happily with?
I know for sure I can exclude guinea pigs and rats, and chinchillas because they have special needs and I couldn't keep one in Eliot's cage. Hamsters are way too small... ferrets too big... Maybe a degu?

I am by no means an expert but I am pretty confident in saying "No" to all you suggest. I would (if you can't get another bun) concentrate on giving extra attention rather than a "small animal" as a companion.

All the best,

TP;)

Well, yes, it is a dumb idea... Eliot could easily harm a smaller animal with a simple flop. Nevermind... I'll think about the Netherland Dwarf option. And until then, Eliot will continue to get lots and lots of attention as usual!

Hiya,

The best option might be to discuss your landlords specific concerns about your rabbit and suggest ways around them. For example they may be worried about damage so offering a higher deposit may reassure them you could also suggest more frequent visits, offer to have the carpets cleaned before you leave - that type of thing.

Tamsin

No offence but why do you want to get another animal when you know your landlord is against them.They are within their rights unfortunately to tell you to get rid of your wee rabbit and if you had another pet that would be 2 to have to get a new home for.Just try and spend as much time with your wee bunny and not have it caged up too long throughout the day.All the love and attention you usually give.As Tasmin says have a word with your landlord see what they say,but be careful some of them can say one thing and do another.If they say you can keep your bunny and get another get everything in writing and the rules laid out, to cover you.A wee spayed girlfriend for Elliot would be nice if it's at all possible.If not theres you.All the best

I'd perhaps either carry on giving the love and attention or maybe try talk to your landlord.

My new landlord wont come to the house to collect rent because of my pets lol!

xx

I wasn't joking when I said that my landlord won't even notice if I get a second bun... He never complains about anything, which also corresponds to a high dose of indifference regarding the house and the problems that he should solve (i.e. broken shower, paying the bills...). I would be more than happy to put some conditions on paper, but he never really gave me ANY piece of paper, other than a letter with his address and shoddy receipts for the rent... And I explicitly asked him many, many times!

Anyway, I don't want to bother you with my weird housing situation... This was just to explain why it is better in the end if I just adopt a girl and then deal with him later. Because no contract states how, when and why I should have my deposit back, I don't really know if I would ever see that money again... He can keep it, as far as I'm concerned, as long as he lets me be a good bunny mom. Plus, there is no contract stating that I am not allowed to keep pets... So, he plays dirty, I play dirty!

In any case, I am going to the GBH Rescue with Eliot on Thursday to see if there is any ladybun he fancies... Maybe it turnes out that he's the solitary type!

be careful that the rescue doesn't deem you unsuitable to home to (please do not take offense) because you do not have written permission from the landlord and this could mean that they then had to take the bun back from you. in saying that if there is no clause saying no pets then maybe it is legally o.k? i do not know much about the re-homeing policies so this is only my thoughts. i hope you do find a friend for your bun as they really do love their own kind in company! xx good luck xx

Mmmh, good point. Well, in this case I guess I should state it clearly at the moment of adoption. I will not do anything that would risk a bun's wellbeing, and if they decide I am not suitable for adoption, then they must have their good reasons.

Thanks for your advice... Eliot is such a handsome guy that I do believe he deserves some bunny love...

eliotonducklington.jpg

Back