• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Am I being cruel?

xShellx

Alpha Buck
Marbles got a discocated hip that wont go back into place. My options are surgery which will cost over £1000 which I cant afford and there are no guantees. Put to sleep or Rest for 6 weeks and see if it heals on its own.

I have gone for the last option and hes on pain killers, Do you think im being cruel? He is eating and drinking well. And was brighter today than he was yesterday. I dont want to pts as want to give him a chance first.

I presume the vet wouldn't have suggested it as an option if it was cruel :) I think it might be that it would heal & form a fixed joint so he might have mobility problem with that leg but bunnies seem to cope well with worse issues.

Tamsin

I presume the vet wouldn't have suggested it as an option if it was cruel :) I think it might be that it would heal & form a fixed joint so he might have mobility problem with that leg but bunnies seem to cope well with worse issues.

Tamsin

Thanks for that made me feel better, I have been soo stressed about it. The vet wanted me to go for the surgery option and said I had to consider pts. Said that there is only a possiblity it will heal with rest.

He seams ok, not as happy as normal but hes eating lots and I have bought him lots of toys. Hes holding his leg up. I was thining it would be woth a few weeks of discomfot if he has the rest of his life. If he got depressed or stops eating I would have him pts

Hes only 10 months old so that has to go in his favor.

To be honest you have 2 options here as no. 1 is a "no go" being as you can't afford it:

You can either a) Put him to sleep OR b) Give him a chance...

KNOW which I would select in that situation!;)

TP - With VIBES for little Marbles.

I would check out what other vets in your local area would pay for the operation- hey may vary in their fees and you may find one that is affordable.

Yes you could try out another vet to see what they say.We took in a stray cat (when i was living with my parents and she's now my mums baby:D)that had a badly broken leg and took her to the vet but it had started to heal on it's own and he recommended not for money reasons but because it had been left to leave it as he would have to take her in re break it and pin it.we left it,with painkillers and she is fine.It's so difficult isn't it.Your wee wabbit is on pain relief and if you really can't afford the op which is a helluva lot of money do what your doing and give the wee one a chance.I know we were talking about the good and bad of PDSA but if you are entitled they would do the op i would think if you feel you bad about the situation.All the best.Sending hugs.

Hi, Im not entitled to anything as I dont claim any benifits and we both work. Plus I would never claim from a charaity.

My oh siad there is no way im spending £1000 on a rabbit if it might not even work. If I had £1000s sitting in the bank then maybe but I dont :cry:.

On a brighter note he looks happy today. Will take some pictures later.

The vet said they would check his leg when I take him in for his mixi and vhd jabs.

Both my bunnys are booked in for 2 weeks then 4 week so will see what they say then.

But hes deff better thn he was 2 days ago.

Shell

It feels worse cos its my fault he broke his leg. i had him on a 20m lead so he has run of the garden. I have done this since I had him. But cos I got a new bunny (a girlfriend) he just went mental when I put him on the grass and go it wrapedd round his leg.

Out of interest, if rest dosn't work....has the vet suggested amputation? Im sure that would be in the region of a few hundred pounds rather than a £1000.

Out of interest, if rest dosn't work....has the vet suggested amputation? Im sure that would be in the region of a few hundred pounds rather than a £1000.

I will ask the vets at his check up. As a last resort it would be better than pts. Thanks

I will ask the vets at his check up. As a last resort it would be better than pts. Thanks

No problem.

You could also try ringing around for quotes from other surgeries (you can request x-rays etc be sent over if needed), I have never dealt with a dislocation but did pay for a tricky operation for a femure break to be repaired using pins on one of my rabbits when she was a baby and that came to £300 including x-rays and medication. So to me £1000 seems a lot of money for a hip displacement.....but as I said I have never had to deal with one before *touch wood*.

not quite the same but ....
my mum's cat had a pin put in for a broken leg but the pin had come dislodged and the cat was due to go in for corrective surgery.
however it escaped from my mum as it was being taken into the surgery and was missing for 8 weeks in the bitter winter.
thankfully a leaflet and poster campaign we did, meant someone saw the cat in her garden and we got her back.
No surgery could then be done and the cats leg healed in a set position. There was talk of amputation but my mum said no, and the cat now goes in the garden as normal - limps with the stiff leg but runs with three legs and is purring and happy.
I hope your bunnies leg will leal in time.As long as you ensure she's not in pain, she should be OK. Do check for a second vet opinion though. -Sue:)

I would ask for a second opinion, either at your own vets or at another rabbit savvy vet nearby.

One of my rabbits, Inky, broke one of his toes and dislocated the one next to it. The broken toe was left to heal on its own because the rest of the foot acted as a splint, it has healed well and is only slightly wonky (it doesn't cause him any pain). The dislocated toe was put back into place when he had the inital x ray. Altogether, it cost about £100. Did you vet try to put the hip back into place?

Lots of vibes

FC xx

Hi, he hurt his hip the night before his castration. When he was under anasetic they took x rays and tried to put it back but wouldnt go in.

I would try another vet too - amputation like Sooz said is a good idea, and you need to be aware that not all vets know much about rabbits - try and find one that goes to annual conferences - I just asked mine straight out and asked them a lot of questions about rabbits to see if they'd done anything since college (they only do a few weeks on rabbits in the years they spend at college, as dogs/cats/horses are more profitable customers) - is he having steroids for the inflamation?

If you can find a vet that is more affordable it may be possible to pay by installments. My vet offers this service if the total cost comes to over £100

That sounds like an awful lot of money to me! I would go elsewhere!
Lionel had to have his leg amputated and thats a long complicated operation and that only (I say only :lol:) cost £180.

:wave: Hi,
I dont know wether my experience will help at all but we had a young bunny of 6/7 weeks come to us who was very crooked on a hind leg and appeared hardly to use it. My vet checked him out and said from very young he'd dislocated the hip and recieved no treatment for it but it had kind of set crooked. He was in no pain with it so my vet recommended just to leave it but he had to be separated from his siblings as they were all underweight but him more so and because of his weakness my vet said it'd be better if he didnt have to compete with his boisterous brothers.
Anyway long and the short of it is, we still have him now and his crookedness gradually got less and less and now you wouldn't really know. :D
Now I guess age was on his side as he was so young he still had alot of growing to do which I guess will have helped but he was and is just fine.
Obviously maybe it will differ a bit with your bun depending on how old he is but I just wanted to let you know that one of ours is happy and healthy without any intervention at all.
Good luck with your little man whatever you decide x

:wave: Hi,
I dont know wether my experience will help at all but we had a young bunny of 6/7 weeks come to us who was very crooked on a hind leg and appeared hardly to use it. My vet checked him out and said from very young he'd dislocated the hip and recieved no treatment for it but it had kind of set crooked. He was in no pain with it so my vet recommended just to leave it but he had to be separated from his siblings as they were all underweight but him more so and because of his weakness my vet said it'd be better if he didnt have to compete with his boisterous brothers.
Anyway long and the short of it is, we still have him now and his crookedness gradually got less and less and now you wouldn't really know. :D
Now I guess age was on his side as he was so young he still had alot of growing to do which I guess will have helped but he was and is just fine.
Obviously maybe it will differ a bit with your bun depending on how old he is but I just wanted to let you know that one of ours is happy and healthy without any intervention at all.
Good luck with your little man whatever you decide x

That sounds good. Marbles 10 Months old and is a Giant so isnt fully grown yet.

He is soo much better today, Hes using his leg a little. Hes hopping round his hutch alot. And also eariler he was at the front of the hutch spread out really chilled out! Hes deff happier. Im thinking I might put him in the really small run in a few days. That way he will be able to chill out in the sun but wont be able to run or jump.

Im feeling happier too becase if hes improved this much in 4 days im really hoping he recovers on his own.

Back