• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help on Dressing the hutch now the weather is warmer??

Mazda

Warren Veteran
Heya,

i have a lionhead rabbit called pebble, i got her in October, she was given to me by this kid cause she wanst interested in her and more! any way i have her now and she is the most spoilt bun in the world! :D

I was just wondering do i need to dress the hutch any different for the warmer weather?

at the moment i put newspaper down, sawdust then hay on top of that. They in her igloo thing i put shreaded paper init. I was also wondering when shall i start leaving the covers up at night time??

help will be much appriciated,
many thanks
Mai :)
xx

Ah I love lionheads!

I dont think it would make much different on how you dress the hutch. However I would consider the following:

-you dont have to layer the entire huitch with hay- just put enough for them to eat (and you can then buy some good quality hay for this)
- I would keep the hutch covered at night so that foxes don't see your rabbit (they are known to be able to break into hutches)- just make sure it is uncovered in the morning before it gets warm
- There is research evdence to suggest that sawdust/pine based products are not good for the rabbits' respiratory systems (they let off aromas that are too strong for rabbits). I currentley use carefresh, but this is expensive. Another cheaper option is something called bio-catolet or something like that (its cat litter made from paper and it is biodegrable and comes in a green bag- the bigger bags are more econmic- you can buy this from pets at home- it says on the bag in small writing "also suitable for small animals). These products are also more odour reducing than sawdust.

Oh ok thanks for that!

I- I would keep the hutch covered at night so that foxes don't see your rabbit (they are known to be able to break into hutches)- just make sure it is uncovered in the morning before it gets warm

Well, the cover is seethrough, the hutch i have for her is a rabbit shack 48" woth under run and the cover made for the hutch is see through so you can still see in when its down. So i dont know waht to do.... hmm,

inthekitchen17.jpg

^ here she is :D

xx

Ah she is lovely but she doesnt look like a lionhead to me.

Be careful of foxes- i lost a rabbit by one as it learnt how to open the hutch- make sure that her hutch is secure.

Ah she is lovely but she doesnt look like a lionhead to me.

Be careful of foxes- i lost a rabbit by one as it learnt how to open the hutch- make sure that her hutch is secure.

she is a lionhead, she here mane...it is rather small, behind her ears, you cant see it in the pic :( ill find a better one! Lol

th_Pebble1.jpg

^
still not very clear lol!

Yea, the catch on the hutch is pretty stiff, i find it hard to open some mornings! :lol:

xx

hmm, i dunno shes quite big! :lol: I think she is a lion head crossed with somthing, (her mains to little to be a "pure" lionhead) but not sure what! Would be cool to find out! :) If any one fancies a challange in guessing wht she is crossed with, let me know and ill put more pics up if you want :)

xx

Back