• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Car ride for bonding - has anyone tried it?

Alice's mum

Warren Scout
I would like to know if anyone has actually tried bonding rabbits during a car ride and if so was it successful?

Thanks!:wave:

I took Nigel to Twickenham with me when I got Gladys and they shared a carrier on the hour and a half journey back. It worked really well in getting a head start. Of course it kicked off a bit when they got home but I'd definitely reccommend it. :)

There are many people on her who have put rabbits together in a pet carrier and taken them out in the car. Taking buns for a run out in the car in a pet carrier can be part of the bonding process. Rabbits are often too stressed out to fight.

A car journey is only a tiny part of bonding rabbits. It is not essential but can help to get them started.

I dont drive so start the rabbits off by going for a walk with them in the carrier (round my house and garden). It fgoves them a chance to get used to the other rabbit and not see it as a threat because it hasn't attacked.

I then carry on in a confined, neutral space.

Thanks for all the replies I really appreciate the help.

This is my first time trying to bond rabbits. Last week didn't go so well and my male bunny had to go to the vet with a bite wound but we have tried again yesterday and today and they seem to be pretty much ignoring each other. When they do meet they are sniffing for a few seconds and running away instead of fighting straight away. The rest of the time they are lying down and eating 1-2 feet away from each other so I am hopeful it will work eventually. I just wondered whether taking them out in the car would help too.

Thanks again!:)

I took Bobbin and Broome for a ride after their first fight. It worked well initially as they snuggle to each other because the journey is unsettling. Obviously as others have said there is far more to the process and unfortunately in their case the bond failed, but I believe this is because they simply weren't well suited.

I think I car ride is a good part of the process but only if the rabbits are a good match to begin with.

Thanks for all the replies I really appreciate the help.

This is my first time trying to bond rabbits. Last week didn't go so well and my male bunny had to go to the vet with a bite wound but we have tried again yesterday and today and they seem to be pretty much ignoring each other. When they do meet they are sniffing for a few seconds and running away instead of fighting straight away. The rest of the time they are lying down and eating 1-2 feet away from each other so I am hopeful it will work eventually. I just wondered whether taking them out in the car would help too.

Thanks again!:)

If they have not been separated since yesterday and they are spending time lying down a short distance away from each other then they are doing well. Just continue as they are going you are bonding them the best way .......... having them together for a few hours and then separating them just confuses them and is more stressful.

I separated them after 4 hours yesterday mainly because of me. I needed the loo and something to eat!:lol: I am afraid to leave them on their own even for a second until they show friendly signs because Cru (the male) got bitten last week and its impossible for me just to sit there 24/7 !! But I will try doing as you say and spend the night in the hall if necessary!

Thanks!

By now you should be ok. I spent 2 nights sleeping in the front room with mine when I bonded them. You can leave them to do things like wee and cook dinner. After a while you get a sense of how the tension is between them and whether you can leave.
If they start chasing, you can just bang on the floor and shout "No". That normally stops it without you having to intervene.

Back