• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Allergies

Hannah1986

New Kit
Can anyone offer any advice. My 5 month old rabbit Honey has been on Baytril for 14 days for the 'snuffles'. I have seen no improvement so I took her back to the vet on day 13 of the antibiotic. Her nose in a little runny and discharge has built up above and below her nostrils. Her nasal skin looks pink and very sore, she wont let me touch her nose at all. She sneezes on the occasion. My vet doesnt know why the Baytril hasnt worked and said it may be something other than 'snuffles'. She's eating and drinking fine and doesnt seem ill as shes still full of life. I've stopped using the cleanng products I use for her cage incase she's having a reaction to them. Could she be allergic to the straw or hay I use although both are 'dust extracted'?! Has anyone had these symptoms with there rabbit? Any advice would be appreciated.:D

2 weeks is a very short cause for Baytril to treat snuffles....its recommended not to be shorter than 6 weeks. It can be 4/5 weeks before any improvement is noticed.

If after 6 weeks there is no improvement your vet should take a nasal swab for culture and sensitivity analysis to see what bacteria is present and what antibiotics it is receptive to.

This costs £30-£40 usually.

Back