• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Natural chews for rabbits

Lucy

Warren Veteran
I wondered what people with lots of rabbits provide for chewing? We can't afford to buy the man made chews due to how many rabbits we have and how many we would need to buy. I am looking for a natural alternative that all my fosterers would be able to use. Any ideas?

If you look up and see which woods are poisonous (such as cherry) you should be able to work out which are ok, like willow. Maybe take a walk to your local woods or a kind neighbour and take a few branches?
Your buns will have a great time stripping leaves and bark from the fresh branches and chewing the wood - and it's free! :)

We have about 18 hutches for rabbits and 11 for guinea pigs to cater for so I don't think collecting them myself is an option!

We have about 18 hutches for rabbits and 11 for guinea pigs to cater for so I don't think collecting them myself is an option!

I would def call your local tree fellers. they have to pay to get rid of it so just ask them to save you some. There was a company who had employees living on our road and I meant to go and ask them but they moved out before I had a chance :roll:

Willow balls don't work out too bad if you bulk buy, but then they don't last long.

I have an arrangment with a friendly local gardener, whenever he is pruning an appropriate tree he saves the branches and delivers them to my house in a sack :)

i also give the buns untreated willow baskets from kitchen shops and they are multipurpose and last for ages. :)

I have an arrangment with a friendly local gardener, whenever he is pruning an appropriate tree he saves the branches and delivers them to my house in a sack :)

Yep I do this too. Nice little Richard pops round huge apple tree logs, little branches and he even cuts them up for me :lol:

If you ask on freecycle for any prunings of apple tree etc branches hopefully you might have some success. I did the same thiing and got a whole load of branches and the bunnies love them. And for free of course! All you have to do is pick them up :D You'd prob be helping them out too as most people cant be bothered getting rid of the branches! :lol:

careful with the tree branches folks as one of my neighbours uses chemicals on his apple tree's;)

Are you wanting boredom buster cheap chew toys Lucy?

Denny I was cheeky and asked Richard only untreated and also gave him a list of suitable ones :oops: How bad am I :lol: Lucy when I get another lot Ill give some to Tree to give to you :)

Denny I was cheeky and asked Richard only untreated and also gave him a list of suitable ones :oops: How bad am I :lol: Lucy when I get another lot Ill give some to Tree to give to you :)

its not cheeky, its the sensible approach;):lol::lol: I only mention it as many bunny novices would be non the wiser and get the hack saw out:lol::lol::lol: I often wonder how many people pick road side and park greens for their buns not knowing the hazards;):(

Ooh thanks Steph, that would be great. I am going to call around local people and leave our number so they can call me if they have any in, I shall add untreated to my list of requirements :lol:

Yes Denny, it's to stop them eating the hutches and runs!

I am not really good knowledge wise with piggies but how many buns do you have? do they eat readigrass and are they on A&P?

that blows my idea out of the window then:lol::lol::lol: sissal rope is good as you can plait it and wrap it around things. Also wicker/willow baskets are a good occupiers:D and if your really adventureous with the sissal rope, you can weave it or crochet with it and make place mats;):D Old tissue boxes filled with hay are also good as is the good old loo roll:D

Well, I've been busy on the phone and I have called about 6 tree surgeons who has taken my number and promised to call when they get some branches. I could get a right stock pile at this rate!

I wondered what people with lots of rabbits provide for chewing? We can't afford to buy the man made chews due to how many rabbits we have and how many we would need to buy. I am looking for a natural alternative that all my fosterers would be able to use. Any ideas?

I phoned up a load of gardners here and asked if they ever came across any untreated fruit branches could I buy them :) The next day this guy brought me round a huge box of apple branches and didnt charge me anything, I get a load dropped round every month or so its great :)

He has a whole list of bunny safe stuff now and has brought round lots of herbs and stuff for them too :lol:

Back