• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please someone tell me, does it ever get easier?

I've woke up this morning feeling just as numb as I was all day yesterday.
Tried to eat yesterday but couldn't keep anything down. I'm back at work today and I just know that no one will understand why I'm so upset.:cry:

Also Bug's seems fine now like she has forgotten Joey already, feel like a bad bunny mum because I'm wanting her to be upset :oops: I know I should feel good that this hasn't affected her like i thought it would, but it feels like she didn't care :oops:

Sorry for the ramble but I have no one else to talk to about this (apart from O/H and he is as upset as I am)

I am not sure that 'easy' is the word I'd use but it does get more managable.
There is no 'right' or 'wrong' way to grieve, and that applies to Bunny grief too.

Some show obvious depression, others appear to want to just 'get back to normal'. Bugs is doing things her way, it doesnt mean she did not care for Joey.

I hope you get through today as well as possible and you can keep posting on here as we all 'understand'

Janex :)

one of my dogs got hit by a car about 4 weeks ago now, and I feel I was partly to blame, which devistated me.
It will get easier with each day that passes, but I understand how devistating it is. I miss Holly so much now, but feel guilty that I am not suffering as much as I was when it first happened. Everyone tells me it is our way of coping, we will never forget and we will miss them but we move forward a day at a time and it will get better soon I promise.
Please pm me if you need to chat more, I hope each day gets a little better for you as it did for me. X

I would say Yes when I get another rehome bunny, that way, I feel better because eventhough I lost a good friend, I got another opportunity to save another bunny's life, which would have end up possibly euthanize if I don't save them because the local SPCA has in the past run out of space

It will get better as time goes on, i lost my rabbit under anaesthetic 2 weeks ago and it broke my heart. Like you say i couldnt eat and i couldnt keep anything down. i kept crying my eyes were swollen. I just kept thinking about him all the time. Sorry about your loss xx

I have just read your post about Joey and Im so sorry that you have lost him.You did everything that you could for him which I hope can give you some comfort at this sad time.The loss of a loved one does get easier as time moves on but it is so hard for the first few weeks as he was part of your life.

Last edited:
when I had Benny and Pepsi, I was totally devastated when Pepsi died - so I compensated by getting so many animals I thought I wouldn't feel devastated again, and then I was comforted that his death hadn't been in vain, as I'd been able to give a home to other animals as a result of losing him.

Sadly they do get older and mine are starting to die off one by one now - it's just the way it is with small furries :( I no longer get devastated when they die, just sad and a bit mournful - I miss their little face in the crowd :( but because I've now had 8 animals die in the space of 3 years - I have got used to it sadly.

Awwwwwwwwwww, It is really upsetting, the pain will stop, but the memories will last and you may have a sad moment from time to time :cry:

when I had Benny and Pepsi, I was totally devastated when Pepsi died - so I compensated by getting so many animals I thought I wouldn't feel devastated again, and then I was comforted that his death hadn't been in vain, as I'd been able to give a home to other animals as a result of losing him.

Sadly they do get older and mine are starting to die off one by one now - it's just the way it is with small furries :( I no longer get devastated when they die, just sad and a bit mournful - I miss their little face in the crowd :( but because I've now had 8 animals die in the space of 3 years - I have got used to it sadly.

To be honest when my dog died I was upset but nothing like this because she was 14 so had a good life.

Poor Joey was barely two, I only had him for about 11 month and just wish he could of lived a long happy life once a rescued him like he deserved.

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Still need to do a proper thread for him in Rainbow bridge :oops:, just can't seem to find the words yet. I will try at home tonight

took about 5 months for me to move on after the loss of my cat George, one day you stop crying over the photos and smile at the good memories.. i then started to yearn for a new heart filler and along came Alvin :love:

took a couple of years to get over my dad..but id known him longer i guess

greif takes as long as it takes to run its course hun dont matter if its a parent or a much loved family pet, they have hold of a piece of your heart and broken hearts dont fix just cus you want them to, it takes time and tears then one day its a distant memory and the pain has faded enough to cope with the trials of life again

hope you feel well enough to eat again soon tho xxxx

To be honest when my dog died I was upset but nothing like this because she was 14 so had a good life.

Poor Joey was barely two, I only had him for about 11 month and just wish he could of lived a long happy life once a rescued him like he deserved.

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Still need to do a proper thread for him in Rainbow bridge :oops:, just can't seem to find the words yet. I will try at home tonight

yeah I think that's why I was so devastated over Pepsi - I'd only had him 4 months from rescue - it was the last thing I expected to be dealing with so soon :( None of my rabbits or pigs have died of old age (although I have no idea how old Maa was - she looked a bit grey on her muzzle last year for the first time) - they are just very fragile creatures really, that's why classed as 'exotics' - there seems to be so many things that can go wrong as they are delicately balanced health wise :(

Awww sweetie, big hugs. :cry:

I found although I really grieved for Pippa, I was more sad for Dillon who was left behind wondering where she was, just heartbreaking to watch.

My husband kept saying although we only had her 3 years, think of the great life she had with us. It really did make me feel better. When we got Connie, although it was strange seeing another bunny with Dillon, I just thought about how Connie now has a lovely home.

I've woke up this morning feeling just as numb as I was all day yesterday.
Tried to eat yesterday but couldn't keep anything down. I'm back at work today and I just know that no one will understand why I'm so upset.:cry:

Also Bug's seems fine now like she has forgotten Joey already, feel like a bad bunny mum because I'm wanting her to be upset :oops: I know I should feel good that this hasn't affected her like i thought it would, but it feels like she didn't care :oops:

Sorry for the ramble but I have no one else to talk to about this (apart from O/H and he is as upset as I am)

I'm so sorry for your loss and i know exactly how you feel. We lost Rory due to a bad reaction to the VHD jab and we had only had him with us a month. I felt that he didn't have time to enjoy the life we could give him. But i am now taking comfort in knowing that i told him i loved him everyday and showed him love whilst he was here. I'm sure Joey has taken lots of wonderful memories with him to the Bridge.

I asked the forum this very same question after we lost Rory and i now know that it does get easier to deal with, although i don't think the pain will every really go away. I still cry for Rory but it's early days yet, with time i hope to look back on his photos and smile and i'm sure you'll do the same with Joey.

It's hard when you are surrounded by people who don't really understand what you are going through, but here on the forum we all understand and are thinking of you at this difficult time

The grief is still there, you'll always carry it with as a symbol of your love for Joey but as time goes on and the layers of life and memory gather and the grief is buried.

Sometimes I'm caught off guard by an old photo or something that reminds me of one of my departed rabbits, that brings the tears back but also a smile when I think about what theyused to, their little habits and personaility traits.

Bugs is probably dealing with it quietly and not letting it show. I've seen bunnies pine and starve themselves with grief over departed mates, its not very nice. Its good if she keeps on as normal. You need to be strong for her but always keep Joey in your heart.
Rabbits have a terrible way of leaving their mark on us don't they?

The grief is still there, you'll always carry it with as a symbol of your love for Joey but as time goes on and the layers of life and memory gather and the grief is buried.

Sometimes I'm caught off guard by an old photo or something that reminds me of one of my departed rabbits, that brings the tears back but also a smile when I think about what theyused to, their little habits and personaility traits.

Bugs is probably dealing with it quietly and not letting it show. I've seen bunnies pine and starve themselves with grief over departed mates, its not very nice. Its good if she keeps on as normal. You need to be strong for her but always keep Joey in your heart.
Rabbits have a terrible way of leaving their mark on us don't they?

Thanks everyone for their kind words. I feel awful about posting I think bugs didn't care :cry: my partner is at home with her today and she has been quiet so maybe its sinking in now. I knew I loved Joey but has really knocked me for six losing him. Keep going to the toliets for a little cry.

I know in time she will need a new friend but I don't know how long till will be ready to move on.

Just take your time and don't let anyone ever let you feel bad for mourning a loved one whether it is a rabbit, human or stick insect. The ability to love is a great gift that less and less people possess these days.

Good luck in finding a new friend for Bugs, I'm sure it will be a versy special and lucky bunnie.

Whenever I post on loss threads (too often unfortunately) I always look at Stanley's picture in our signature when it loads. It doesn't hurt so much these days but just writing this brings back positives and negatives :(. So very sorry.

Neil

There will come a time when memories will make you smile instead of cry but you never stop missing them or wishing they were still with you.

I am forever posting this but I really do find comfort in it:

"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached.
Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.
We cherish memory as the only certain immortality,
never fully understanding the necessary plan."

Irving Townsend.

Thinking of you x

I'm so sorry :cry:

I lost my horse almost 8 months ago and i still find it hard to look at pictures :cry:

After he was pts my vet cut some of his tail off and put it in a bag for me and said he'd put it in the feed room for when i feel up to taking it home as something to remember him by.

Its still in the tack room because i know i'll just get myself so upset:cry:

I really feel for you and understand totally how you feel.

You can pm me for a chat whenever you like :wave:

Back