• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi question

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
Can myxi spread if someone has touched a rabbit who has it (before being diagnosed) and even though they have washed thier hands pass it on to other rabbits? I am worried at the moment because my sister's friend's rabbit was diagnosed with myxi today and had to be put to sleep. The rabbits daughter and thier other rabbit also run around in the garden and so is it possible they could get myxi too?

My sister came home and touched her rabbit which me and my brother touch so we could then have passed it on to our own rabbits. Most of our rabbits haven't had the myxi jabs yet as they are not due until May. However 2 of them are going in tomorrow.

Can myxi spread if someone has touched a rabbit who has it (before being diagnosed) and even though they have washed thier hands pass it on to other rabbits? I am worried at the moment because my sister's friend's rabbit was diagnosed with myxi today and had to be put to sleep. The rabbits daughter and thier other rabbit also run around in the garden and so is it possible they could get myxi too?

My sister came home and touched her rabbit which me and my brother touch so we could then have passed it on to our own rabbits. Most of our rabbits haven't had the myxi jabs yet as they are not due until May. However 2 of them are going in tomorrow.

Mxyi is spread by fleAs, if the rabbits were allowed to run in the same garden then there could be a small chance i think, not too sure as the post is rather confusing?

My sister's friends rabbit got myxi and had to be put to sleep. Thier other rabbits run around the garden as well (they all used to at the same time with thier guinea pigs). I was wondering if we could transfer whatever the flies leave on the rabbit to other rabbits because i am worried about our rabbits. My sister visits them quite frequently and touches thier rabbits and when she comes home she touches her own rabbit. Me and my brother also touch him and our own rabbits. As our rabbits have not been for thier myxi jabs yet i am worried they may get it.

My sister's friends rabbit got myxi and had to be put to sleep. Thier other rabbits run around the garden as well (they all used to at the same time with thier guinea pigs). I was wondering if we could transfer whatever the flies leave on the rabbit to other rabbits because i am worried about our rabbits. My sister visits them quite frequently and touches thier rabbits and when she comes home she touches her own rabbit. Me and my brother also touch him and our own rabbits. As our rabbits have not been for thier myxi jabs yet i am worried they may get it.

If you scrubbed yourself thoroughly and had a complete change of clothes between touching yourself, then yours might be okay, if hers were all running free together id prob have the others taken just for a check up to be on the safe side.

It's unlikely it would have spread rabbit to rabbit, or rabbit to person to rabbit. However if your rabbits exercise in the same area the same infected flies/fleas could have bitten your bunnies too.

Most of our rabbits haven't had the myxi jabs yet as they are not due until May. However 2 of them are going in tomorrow.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Myxi boosters should be given at least annually (at the start of the summer) but every 6 months in high risk areas (eg known outbreaks). This is because the vacc's strongest protection is only for 6 months.

I would suggest any rabbits you have that haven't been vaccinated in the last 6 months are done asap. Likewise if your sister has any more rabbits they should be done asap too. Make sure any cats/dogs etc. you own are also regularly treated for fleas.

Tamsin

Oh that's a relief. My sister's friend's rabbits are no where near ours. Ours had thier last myxi jabs end of Oct - mid Nov last year. Except one who had to be treated for mites first so didn't have hers till december.

I have a mxyi question too...

About a month ago we adopted our rabbit and he had quite scabby ears so I took him to our vets the following day for his first myxi injection and a check up.

The vet said that there was a slight chance that the ear scabs meant the bunny had mxyi but as there was no other symptoms he wasnt too worried.

Anyway, today I took the rabbit back for his other injection and got the vet to look at his ears because although they have improved a bit through using salt water, there are still a couple of raised areas and one small scab remains on the outside of the ear.

The vet said that he is now more concerned as he thinks the lessions look more typical of myxi and in the case where he saw this before it was some time before the rabbit developed full blown myxi.

We have been given some steroid cream to see if that improves his ears but has anyone experienced this sort of thing with their rabbits?

Nodular myxi (which caused lumps on the face/ears/gentiles) is unlikely to develop into full blown myxi. They are usually still quite sick with it and need antibiotics. If his ears just look a bit scabby and he has no other symptoms it doesn't sound that much like myxi.

What do the scabs look like? Are they lumps which have gone scabby or more generalized scabbyness. Are they just on the ears or does he have them elsewhere. Another possibility is syphilis which causes scabs in similar places to myxi. Have you got a photo?

Tamsin

Thanks for the info

Getting a photo might be tricky but I will try.

Basically he had big long scabs on the outside of one ear which have mainly fallen off now. Then on the inside of that ear he had two pink sore bits which looked like small ovals with a / raised bit in the middle. It looked like he had been going at his ears so much he had nearly gone through the skin.

On the other ear he has a small round pink spot on the tip of his ear but that has faded a lot now.

He was newly neutered when we got him and he did have a small sore bit underneath but it looked more like a cut where he had been having a go at the area. When we last checked that had cleared up but I will have another look.

If it isnt myxi, should the steroid cream help?

hi my bun had nodular myxi last year i would have expected if bun was previously un vaccs to see more lumps around the body neck back sides...paws and genitals particularly but it is hard to tell with out a photo(ps my bun survived) the steroid cream would work possibly but again it depends on if its mites...flea bites...allergy....i guess depends on what has caused the lumps to start with.

Thanks for the info

Getting a photo might be tricky but I will try.

Basically he had big long scabs on the outside of one ear which have mainly fallen off now. Then on the inside of that ear he had two pink sore bits which looked like small ovals with a / raised bit in the middle. It looked like he had been going at his ears so much he had nearly gone through the skin.

On the other ear he has a small round pink spot on the tip of his ear but that has faded a lot now.

He was newly neutered when we got him and he did have a small sore bit underneath but it looked more like a cut where he had been having a go at the area. When we last checked that had cleared up but I will have another look.

If it isnt myxi, should the steroid cream help?

Hello

Sorry for delay, have had a nightmare trying to get pictures and I am not sure if they are going to post ok!

Basically, he now has a rectangular scab on the inside of his ear (which feels horrible when I have to put cream on it) and underneath it looks like a pimple or a raised area is still there. There is also a small scab on the outside and another raised area.

If the pictures work you can also see another pimple but it looks a lot less red since I have been using the cream.

He doesnt have any other scabs elsewhere or anything that looks like what is on the inside of his ears.

Any advice is much appreciated :D

Thank you

Ok, lets try again!

P1000628.jpg

http://P1000626.jpg[/IMG]

http://P1000625.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited:
Can rabbits get warts?

The scab that you can see in the picture has grown since the weekend. Before that the area looked quite sore and a bit bloody.

I think the cream is helping but its difficult to tell because of the scab.

Back