• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP! my rabbit is doing sticky poohs!

muffinsmum

Warren Scout
(I have posted this in the welfare section but hope that this thread gets more views here.)
I put my buns in her garden run as usual this morning, I came back from work and found that she has produced mini cow pats in her run! I have taken her in and cleaned her up, but I am wondering what might have caused this, I have had her for a month now and not changed her diet, she had spring greens and a few bits of carrot yesterday, and her usual pellets, she was quite grumpy yesterday and hubs could not get her in on his own, it needed both of us to get her out of her run so I am wondering if she was feeling poorly. I have checked her hutch and no sticky poohs in there, what should I give her to eat tonight and what further action should I take? she seems quite frisky today and I managed to bring her in with out any problems....:shock::(

I would keep a very close eye on her for the next couple of days. If she seems quiet or unresponsive again then get in touch with your vet who will examine her, including her teeth which MAY be a factor? And keep a close eye on her rear end and make sure she is clean ... flystrike is NASTY :censored:

In the meantime I would go with LOTS and LOTS of fresh hay tonight and steer clear of greens and pellets to let things settle. Perhaps offer a bowl of water if she doesn't already have one, to encourage drinking so she isn't dehydrated.

Hope that helps and that she's on the mend :D

i have a feeling I have been feeding her too much green stuff.....she seems quite frisky this evening but still popping out wet ones! I hope she isnt it to much of a mess in the morning, I have already told hubs he is going to help me clean her up first thing before I go to work! and she will be having lots of hay tomorrow....should I wait untill her pooh looks normal to give her some pellets?

Pellets (especially if they are low in fibre) can be the cause of soft/sticky poo, especially if she is being offered too many. Most rabbits only need a tablespoon or two of pellets per day. My rabbit eats about 1-2 TEASPOONS of pellets per day!!! And loads of fresh hay and veg.

I would stick with loads of fresh hay and water for tonight. When you do reintroduce pellets and greens make sure it is just a little at a time.

Good luck!

sometimes they leave them if something has startled them, but it sounds like it could be too much food, which is another cause - just give her fresh hay today and tomorrow, with a few pellets (just a couple teaspoons) and no veg - and when you reintroduce veg, just a mouthful and no carrot - they should only have an inch of carrot for a treat anyway as it's sweet. If she's on grass then the spring grass can upset their tums too as it's very rich, so keep her off grass till she's better. You might want to check her thoroughly for fly eggs - they look like grains of rice stuck together, and need to be removed every last one if you find any.

thanks all, she is clean this morning, no splats in the hutch....she seems quite perky this morning, given her hay and no pellets this morning....I feel so guilty about over feeding her....I guess I just wanted her to settle in and be happy! :cry: poor girlie! I shall give her a tiny amount of pellets tonight...(using excell). and if she is ok a tiny amount of veg tomorrow.

thanks all, she is clean this morning, no splats in the hutch....she seems quite perky this morning, given her hay and no pellets this morning....I feel so guilty about over feeding her....I guess I just wanted her to settle in and be happy! :cry: poor girlie! I shall give her a tiny amount of pellets tonight...(using excell). and if she is ok a tiny amount of veg tomorrow.

I believe you mention you have only had this bun for a short period of time and you also mention that you are going to give her a small amount of veg tomorrow.

My advice would be to follow what you are doing ie plenty of really good quality hay and very small quantities of excel twice daily and no veg for the time being. In addittion I would get the vet to check her rear teeth and if they are ok keep her on this diet for at least 3-4 weeks before you think of adding to it.

When you do I would suggest staying clear of "man made veg" ie carrots cauliflower cabbage ect and sticking to handfulls of grass, small quantities of dandilions, parcel ect ie things with fibre which take some chewing etc.

It goes without saying introduce slowly and in very small quantities.

just to let you know that her pooh is back to normal and she seems a bit more lively now, thanks for all the info and advice I really appreciate it.:wave:

Back