• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spay Questions...Update wont let husbun near?

Amy104

Warren Veteran
Just phoned the vets and they've said all ok and can pick her up at half five. I have a dog crate set up indoors (she's normally an outdoor bun) lined with puppy training pads and and a fleece blanket on one side. Does this sound ok?
They let me pick Blubell up much earlier after his neuter - should I be worried they want to keep her? Also I understand they normally take a bit longer to recover as its more invasive for females - should I get any additional pain meds for her as my boy was just given a long lasting injection?

Last edited:
The dog crate sounds fine:D
It depends what time she was operated on.I have had to take mine in a at 9.00.Surgery doesn,t finish till 1.00 then the vets can do the operations.If they are a few in for operations they may not of operated on her till later.
I am sure she will be fine:D:D

I didnt pick my bunnie up until 7' o clock and i soon realised i made the mistake of bringing her home! The vets wanted to keep her in but i wanted her home. She required extra painkillers and syringe feeding! I ended up rushing her back in at about midnight. She was alot better the next day they kept her allll day & i collected her in the evening along with a very large vet bill lol

Keep us updated! Tempt her with anything you can and keep her warm. Mine wudnt eat or drink! I gave her all sorts of veg and put warm water in her water bottle, i also provided her with a bowl of water!

All the best xx

She seemed pretty bright and has eaten lots of veggies. Drank a little bit but not as much as usual. She has toileted plenty but looks uncomfortable when she goes. However she wont accept her husbun. He's pining for her but every time he tries to groom her she usurs him away. Is she just uncomfortable and wanting some peace?

She seemed pretty bright and has eaten lots of veggies. Drank a little bit but not as much as usual. She has toileted plenty but looks uncomfortable when she goes. However she wont accept her husbun. He's pining for her but every time he tries to groom her she usurs him away. Is she just uncomfortable and wanting some peace?

Did you take him with her?
she probably just wants to be left alone for the time being. Did you get some metacam for her?
Just keep her comfortable, give her pain meds, ensure she is drinking and eating something and let her be for a while. It takes a few days sometimes for them to bounce back and she will likely just want to sit in a corner and be on her own.

No she went on her own, i don't think its normal practice at my vets to keep them together. They are of the believe that it is harder to monitor eating/drinking/toilet levels of the operated one if you keep them together. They don't want them sperated long term, just long enough for you the establish these things are normal. I know alot on here believe they recover quicker with companionship but my vets are very rabbit savvy and I trust them 100%. They didn't give me any pain med as she had a long lasting injection and is going back today for a check up so will prob give it to me today. She was incredibly bright last night, i expected her to be a bit out of it but she wasn't. Maybe the pain relief is starting to wear off as she looks like shes feeling sorry for herself.

It depends on each individual spay whether or not extra pain relief is needed, she will have had enough drugs to last her at least 24hrs. I don't take my buns partners in when the other is going for something unless it is a very relatively new bonding. I am sure your vet will give her extra pain relief if she needs it. She sounds like she is doing ok if she as been eating. Try not to worry to much she will be fine.:D

Back