• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

porridge a failure!! any other suggestions?

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Tried the soaked porridge (to try and gain weight on my elderly x netherland) this morning - but he turned his nose up at it!! Tried it with another who also needs a bit of weight . .and so did he. In desperation I tried it on my 'hangs round your feet begging and does cute tricks to get food' bun . . and even HE said no thanks!! Didn't bother with the 'I'll eat anything just pass me that cat food . . . . ' bun.
So it looks like porridge as a weight gaining trick is a no starter here.
Any other suggestions anyone??

I don't soak porridge, I just sprinkle a few oats on top of their food.

I give my buns a few sunflower seeds once a week to keep their coats nice...pumpkin seeds sometimes too.

Amy

I cannot over-emphasise how careful you need to be feeding dry porridge oats.

Parsnipbun have you tried mixing blackcurrant & apple babyfood in with the porridge> even my fussiest rabbits eat that :)

Because it absorbs liquid and expands in the rabbits stomach. One of mine ended up quite poorly after eating some which I had not properly soaked....he swelled up like a balloon within the hour :cry::cry:

Why careful, Sooz? Were going to be starting Earl on some porridge tonight (or trying to)

Because dry oats can swell up in the stomach, this shouldn't be a problem when only feeding a small amount of oats though...little and regular is best :D

I'm not sure I'd advocate feeding baby food though, the sugars and carbs could upset the gut flora.

Could you try feeding a Breeder- Growers Pellet feed. They have a higher protein content which can help weight gain but they also have the essential high fibre content.

I use A+P Breeder Pellets to get weight on my skinny Buns

Janex

On the same note...my elderbuns get excel junior to keep weight on

This is what I've started to feed Lexie and Fiver (away from Marley) due to their teeth letting them down.

Its just a shame its not so high in fiber....but Lexie will not eat A&P.

On the same note...my elderbuns get excel junior to keep weight on

So if I want Jake to put weight on and shouldn't be feeding him porridge can I put him on Excel Junior or would I be better get a bag of A&P breeder? Does this only come in the massive bags? I presume that it will do. Its a bit diff to get hold of but if he can have excel then thats loads better. He's on Dodson and Horrell at the mo but doesn't eat much of it.

Helen x

The same applies to porridge and the original recipe used by parsnipbun also had banana in it ;)

IMO feeding oats is completely different to feeding baby food because (as far as I'm aware) the size of the particles is different. Refined sugars, etc, from baby food have smaller particles and can end up in the wrong part of the gut...therefore making the rabbit ill.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong

Could you try something like Nutrical? I know it can be used for many different animals and I have even used it for my birds and they loved it.

IMO feeding oats is completely different to feeding baby food because (as far as I'm aware) the size of the particles is different. Refined sugars, etc, from baby food have smaller particles and can end up in the wrong part of the gut...therefore making the rabbit ill.

I thought that too :?

Janex

If thats the case can you reference it? I've never heard that before and I'd like to know more. I've never had an issue mixing a teaspoon of baby food into porridge or a pellet mash but then obviously some people have never had an issue with porridge either.

Helen it needs to be the Dwarf/Junior Excel...the one in the light blue bag as the other is lower in protein.

Back