• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits eat piggie food?

babybunnies3

Alpha Buck
There is an arguement on another (dog) forum I am on regarding this, I would have said no but can find nothing on the internet to back it up :?
Are there any particular reasons?

well it's no different to eating rabbit mix, but it's not as healthy for them as a proper pelleted food - same can be said about rabbit mix :)

pigs and rabbits need different dietry needs although they can both eat guinea pig pellets i think that in order to do the best for your rabbit you should make sure he gets ebough veggies and fresh hay, you could try googling it or wikipedia in order to get all the technicalities

Same as others have said Guinea pig food is higher in protein and lower in fibre. If we look at the excel pellet range... 5 % difference in protein is a lot.

supa excel guinea
Protein 17%
Oil 4%
Ash 6.5%
Fibre 15%
Calcium 0.8%
Phosphorous 0.5%
Vitamin A 22,000iu/kg
Vitamin D3 1,250iu/kg
Vitamin E * 100mg/kg
Vitamin C 800mg/kg
Copper ** 15mg/kg

rabbit
Protein 12%
Oil 4%
Ash 7.5%
Fibre 16%
Calcium 0.90%
Phosphorous 0.51%
Vitamin A 15,00iu/kg
Vitamin D3 1,500iu/kg
Vitamin E * 100mg/kg
Vitamin C 60mg/kg
Copper ** 15mg/kg

There are also different vitamin contents. If I remember rightly g-pigs can't make their own vitamin c so need more of that.

You shouldn't feed a rabbit guinea pig food and vice versa, they have different dietry requirements. They also should NOT be housed together under any circumstances.

Also rabbits need more vitamin D than guinea pigs, so if they are on guinea pig food they may not be getting enough.

They should be given their own food. This isn't normally an issue unless they are being housed together, which isn't a good idea anyway.

I've heard of some people who fed guinea pigs rabbit pellets in lack of anything better... (guinea pig pellets are kind of hard to come by in many areas of Norway) but they had to be extra careful the pig got all the vitamin C it needed.
Also I've heard of rabbits getting ill from eating guinea pig mix. :cry:

Guinea pigs and rabbits come from different sides of the world and don't eat the same plants, just look at the guinea pigs need for vitamin C, the rabbit has no use for these.

Back