• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Had a realy bad go at vet nurse,U/D Zip had Dental 8-)

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
My Zippy, went off her food last night and her one eye started to run, checked her mouth and she's got a couple of little teeth come through, they're only literally have come through, but they're sharp like needles.

When she was checked a few weeks ago, my vet Doug told me he didn't want to see her again unless she goes off her food. So I dosed her up with painkiller last night to get her eating again and this morning rang the vets. They've stopped opening at 7.30 and only open now at 9, so sat at home until they opened (made myself late for work). I rang and basically the one branch as decided to swap all the vet nurses over with my branch and they just don't know me, so head nurse wasn't that helpful.

I explained, Zippy needed a dental today, but she would not fit her in, messing me around saying they've got too many ops in (sorry but what do they do if a cats been run over), She was like, I'll fit her in tomorrow. I said tomorrow is no good, it needs to be today, I said Doug told me that as soon as she seems to have any trouble to be done then, I don't want her waiting over night.

The vet nurse, said well I can book you an appointment to see a vet, I just lost it with her and was screaming at her, that I don't need to see a :censored: vet, so they can tell me I she needs a dental, I mean no :censored: Sherlock, she has them every sodding 4-6-8 weeks, I know she needs one and don't need talking to like a prat. I said can you get her into another branch. in the end, she said I could bring her in and leave her, but there is no promise they can fit her in, if they can't they'll give her some painkillers and I'll take her back tomorrow.

When I got there, I said I bet you think I'm a right cow, but she looked at me like she wanted me dead. I feel awful I didn't mean to lose it in such a bad way, but to her it's a job, to me it's Zippy, I will get her a gift on the way home to say sorry, I feel terrible, why do I lose it like this, I let myself really down with my temper.

I hope poor Zippy is ok too, she's so old and it really upsets me seeing her poorly :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:
Most of the vet nurses know me but i too sometimes loose it when they get a new nurse and she tells me that its ok for buns not to eat for a few days :shock: I don't bother ringing now i just turn up, i also have the vets home and mobile.

Maybe some chocs when you collect might keep her on side in the future!

Good on you Tree! :D

I would have done the exact same.... My vets is good but I have lost it once about Digbe the hammie.

You only lost your temper because Zippy is so important to you. Whilst I know how bad you must be feeling, if you have tried to apologise or explain your feelings to the nurse concerned then, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

We have all been there. I have lost it at the GP's when the receptionist has been useless or obstructive.

I think normally the vet receptionists are in the firing line and not the nurses but it's all just part of the job - not that they deserve to be shouted at, but they surely realise that it will happen when people are so worried about their animals.

I think it's so much more likely to happen with bunny owners too as it's so time sensitive when a bunny is ill.

I do feel for you.

Sending you big hugs.

Hope Zippy is okay.

Don't worry too much Tree, we all get a bit stresses when we know are bunnnies are ill or in pain, it just shows you care.:)

I'm sure getting the nurse something yummy will smooth things over.

I hope they manage to get Zippy sorted today and she is ok

Well I don't blame you, she could have asked a vet or checked the records to see before refusing surely? If an owner rang at a branch I wasn't used to I would check the notes and then with a vet if necc. she should have taken your word for it rather than not believe what you were saying and checked.

Hope all goes well with Zippy today :wave:

Thanks guys, it's horrid when you shout at someone and yeah all she would of had to of done is check Zippy's records, no lie they're about an inch thick so she would know she's a needy bunny. I have been shouted at, at work like that before and I hated it. I really didn't want to lose it, but she didn't understand that it really needed looking at, I didn't shout at her straight away, I just got more and more mad as the call progressed. :oops:

Maybe once your vet realises its Zippy he will make sure she is seen today and explain the situation to the nurse.

Tree I am always upsetting people cos I tend to 'loose it' when anxious about a poorly Bun.
People skills aint my forte, never have been :oops:
I hope Zippy will soon be home and that her Dental goes well.

Janex :)

Thanks guys, the vets don't get in until 9.30 today, so I guess she was doing her job, but I really felt up against her, I hate upsetting people like that, hopefully the vet will explain Zips situation and she'll get a bit more special treatment next time. It must be hard at the vets, as everyone thinks their animals come first, you would think they would keep emergency spaces.

the old vet nurse were great, if I had a poorly bun, they would syringe feed for me while I came to work, I don't thin I've much chance of getting this one to do that for me :oops::oops:

Don't buy her a bloody gift! She's **** at her job :lol: I would have done exactly the same as sometimes they dn't engage their brains to work a way round a problem. Bit of a 'computer says no' moment!

Tree, Im so sorry about Zippy. You spend a lot of money at the vets and they should have not be so obstructive. They could have said that they would speak to the vet and call you back. Its her that needs to be able to speak to owners, who are often in a very stressful situation, in a more amenable way. Its human nature to apologize, but again she wasn't pleasant and take some responsibility as well for her part, she just glared at you:evil: I wouldn't lose sleep over her, the most important thing is that you got treatment for Zippy.

Thinking of you todayxx

Aww Tree, to be fair I would be the same. I have an evil temper sometimes if the right buttons are pushed and I am so protective of the animals that if that button is pushed, I lose it! Don't worry too much xxxxx

Back