• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Infacol

Mackers

Wise Old Thumper
Hello everyone. I've been a 'lurker' on this forum for some weeks now and would like to ask a question. As a rule of thumb, how much Infacol do you give your buns when they're showing signs of colic? One of my girls didn't want breakfast this morning and was stretching her tummy - sure signs of a tummy ache so I immediately headed for the infacol and gave her 0.5ml - she weighs 3kg. I shall go home at lunchtime to check on her and take it from there but I never really know how much infacol to give. Any suggestions?
Sue, Pea and Pod

I usually give 2ml for my bun of 3kg BUT that is not a guideline. I usually also give a couple of drops of metcam for pain relief, loads of tummy rubs and encourage the bun to move around. I would contact your vet and make an appointment just in case there's no improvement at lunch. Offer her some fragant herbs or dandelions to get her to eat. Try not to waste too much time on medicating her yourself as with tummy problems time is of the essence.

Hope she feels better soon.:)

Thanks - for the info. It's OK - I've kept buns for nearly 20 years now and I've had lots of experience of this sort of thing - if she's no better at lunchtime then it'll be the vets this evening - I don't hang around!! I just wondered how much infacol, if any, other people give. I've got metacam as well (for the dogs) but I've not given any of that coz again, I didn't know how much to give.

She's had no change to her diet but I did leave a couple of Verm-X nuggets in their dish last night to see if they'd eat them (they've both turned their noses up so far!). I have to assume that she ate a couple and it's upset her tum. I won't be giving them that again! Verm-X, incase you're wondering, is a 'natural' parasite control nugget especially designed for buns.

I usually give 0.5 ml every 1.5 to 2 hours. You cannot OD on simethicone (the active ingrediant in Infacol) because its chemically inert (not absorbed by the body) however my concern lies with the flavour additives and sweetners- rabbits guts are not good with sugar at the best of times let alone when under pressure from bloat/imminent stasis.

I also believe it should not be given when a blockage is suspected but then nor should much else.

I just give them a 1ml syringe full of infacol, and then about 10ml of warm water (use a splash of boiling water from the kettle to heat it), then leave them an hour and repeat - so far it's worked after a few hours *touch wood* :roll:

Thanks everyone - very helpful information that I'll bear in mind for future reference. Anyway, I'm pleased to say that Pod, having given Mummy brown trousers this morning, is now eating for England! Cow!

Me too! I think it must have been the Verm-X - I'll stick with being 'evil mummy' and wrestling for 9 days with Panacur in future!! I'm always SOOOO relieved to see them eating and 'normal' again but I really could kill them for giving me heart failure! Now I can relax and look forward to my two new (or should that be pre-loved five year old) bunnies hopefully coming this weekend (if the shed men play their part and have a nice erection in my garden tomorrow - lol!)

Back