• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits & Guniea Pigs how much veg?!

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
How much veg should you feed rabbits & guniea pigs?!
Do you have to be careful with guniea pigs like you do rabbits with how much they have?!

My piggies love veg but i dont know how much to give!!

:D

I give my piggies around a handful of mixed greens with a small piece of fruit and veg in the morning, and another handful of mixed greens in the evening:)

I give my piggies around a handful of mixed greens with a small piece of fruit and veg in the morning, and another handful of mixed greens in the evening:)

Every day?!
So you can give a fair amount and you dont have to limit?!
What sort of things do you give?! I love trying new ideas lol.xx

Mine have:
Spring greens
Kale
Celery
Red/Green Peppers
Broccoli
Cucumber
Spinach
Carrots (as a treat)
Apple
All types of melon
Orange

They get a lot of veg, one bag of spring greens between them for breakfast and maybe a large head of broccoli for tea.
They also get a chopped salad in between.

Yes they get that every day. Fresh veg is very important for guinea pigs!:D

The mixed greens is a base of leaves such as endive, raddichio, romaine, escarole, corriander, or carrot tops with a small amount of either spring greens, parsley or kale.

Veg would be green or red peppers, carrot, cherry tomatoes, sweetcorn, baby corn, broccoli, cucumber or celery

Fruit: apple, kiwi fruit, melon, blueberries, strawberries, banana etc

anything really but mine don't like orange and I would avoid spinach.

REALLY!?

I never knew they could have half of them things! WOW! lol

I will have to go fruit/veg shopping tomorrow!!

xx

Spinach? Whats wrong with it?

It can give some pigs the runs if they have too much, but apart from that its very high in calcium and oxalates which can contribute to kidney and bladder stones.

I'm sure a tiny bit now and then won't do any harm, but I don't feed it. There are lots of other things you can give them instead.

Natsanth remember to go slow when you're introducing new food, so they don't get upset tums:) They often turn their nose up at new stuff, but if you persevere they will give it a try eventually.

I've got 4 guinea pigs that are coincidentally from the same litter, and they have a morbid fear of any new fruit or veg - so daft :lol: Even when their partner is tucking in they still look on with total horror - barmy pigs - but most of mine are up for trying anything new - just give them a mouthful at first though :)

This is from a small guide I wrote for someone who was novice with pigs...not rabbit related, just Guinea Pig based...

This link shows a table where vegetables and fruits are explained and it shows you how many times per week you should feed them. If it’s not on the table beware that it may be bad for Guinea Pigs. Scroll down for more information on things to avoid and more information.

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...cavys-diet-read-me-nutrition-charts-info.html

Vegetables should be given once or twice a day. I preferred to give mine a small amount go Romaine Lettuce in the morning and then their larger feed in the evening.

Each day I feed mine the following:

AM:
1 Romaine Lettuce Leaf each
PM:
1 Baby Carrot each
1/8 of a green pepper each (avoid the seeds!)
4 Storks of Coriander each
1 Cherry Tomatoes each (cut and squeeze the seeds out)

Then each day I add one or two of the following for variation, sticking to the guide:
¼ of a stick of celery each (cut into small pieces as the strings can be a choking hazard)
3 Storks of Parsley each
3 Storks of Dill each
1/8 of red or yellow pepper each
Small pinch of broccoli each
One inch chunk of cucumber each
A small chunk of apple

Fruit should only be fed about once a week maximum as they are high in sugars and acid and can cause mouth sores. Banana can cause constipation so it is best to avoid it all together, although if fed it is recommended it is fed only once per month in small quantites.

This is from a small guide I wrote for someone who was novice with pigs...not rabbit related, just Guinea Pig based...

This link shows a table where vegetables and fruits are explained and it shows you how many times per week you should feed them. If it’s not on the table beware that it may be bad for Guinea Pigs. Scroll down for more information on things to avoid and more information.

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...cavys-diet-read-me-nutrition-charts-info.html

Vegetables should be given once or twice a day. I preferred to give mine a small amount go Romaine Lettuce in the morning and then their larger feed in the evening.

Each day I feed mine the following:

AM:
PM:
1 Baby Carrot each
1/8 of a green pepper each (avoid the seeds!)
4 Storks of Coriander each
1 Cherry Tomatoes each (cut and squeeze the seeds out)

Then each day I add one or two of the following for variation, sticking to the guide:
¼ of a stick of celery each (cut into small pieces as the strings can be a choking hazard)
3 Storks of Parsley each
3 Storks of Dill each
1/8 of red or yellow pepper each
Small pinch of broccoli each
One inch chunk of cucumber each
A small chunk of apple

Fruit should only be fed about once a week maximum as they are high in sugars and acid and can cause mouth sores. Banana can cause constipation so it is best to avoid it all together, although if fed it is recommended it is fed only once per month in small quantites.

I would be careful giving so much Romaine as it has an inverse Ca:ph ratio, and too much phosphorous can cause more damage than too much calcium. If you do a search on Guinea Lynx there are several discussions about it:D

I try to give mine a mixture of leaves. Kale and spring greens are very good for them and are a valuable source of Vit C, as long as they are given in moderation.

As far as I now its only too much apple that can cause mouth sores. Can you tell me where you have got the information about banana from please? I've never heard of it causing constipation:?

Last edited:
Back