• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What vegetables are okay for rabbits

NellieNooNoo

Warren Scout
I've given my rabbits broccoli before but is purple sprouting broccoli okay? Also, can they eat flat leaf parsley?

Thanks

:wave:hi, someones here:lol::lol::lol: mine love flat leaf parsley and mint.as for brocolli i give them the stem, but never tried the purple version.:)

Thank you for that, I don't usually give them much else apart from their nuggets and hay, but it's nice to give them a little treat now and again.

The parsley went down well, try the broccoli tomorrow - thank you for replying

mine loves baby spinach. I was told to stay away from veggies with high water content as not much fibre and might give em a runny tum

Mine absolutely love the green bits from carrots. I actually ask the local grocer to keep aside her green bits and I'll go and pick them up. They'll only go to waste! ;)

Are you sure about the apples? as i heard that they ferment in the bellys cos of their digestive system and they get "drunk" or ill :?

Apples and other fruits should be given in small amounts and only as a treat because of the high sugar content, and they should never be given apple cores with pips are these are toxic to rabbits. It's best to give a wide variety of green veg as too much of some veg ie high calcium ones such as carrot tops(greens), dandelions, kale can cause bladder problems. If you give a good serving each day of a mixture then the low calcium ones will balance the high calcium ones.

cool, i fed Gumpy a dandelion the other day and he had the runs and was a bit ill, do you think i should try him again but maybe cut it up and slowly introduce them to his diet or just avoid them totally i.e weed the garden :cry:

Apples and other fruits should be given in small amounts and only as a treat because of the high sugar content, and they should never be given apple cores with pips are these are toxic to rabbits. It's best to give a wide variety of green veg as too much of some veg ie high calcium ones such as carrot tops(greens), dandelions, kale can cause bladder problems. If you give a good serving each day of a mixture then the low calcium ones will balance the high calcium ones.

Didn't know that - thanks for the info
Em x

Back