• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Storing hay

Deanna

Warren Scout
hi,

I currently buy my hay from the pet shops and now going to get it from a farm shop as it is much cheaper and fresher, my only concern is as I only have 2 rabbits what is the best way to store the hay so it doesn't go mouldy I have tried to obtain half a bale but no one will sell this to me so a bale is my only option and it will take quite a while to get through it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

but should I put it in anything like a box or bin, as I would worry that mice would make a nice home in it but would a bin make the hay sweat, sorry for sound dim :roll:

depends how much money and space you have but you could get a hayhive from the Dust Free Hay website.

Helen x

Something mouse proof would definitely be good. I put mine in bags with holes poked in and hang it from the beams in my garage but i guess this might not be practical if youve got loads.

I have one of those garden keter storage boxes for a bale of hay and also keep a few in my storage shed :D

Tip of the day!
I keep mine in a clean wheelie bin dusbin. The large ones are just the right size for a bale of hay, if you squash it in, the lid keeps it all dry, and you can move it about if you want to, and it is mouse proof.

The only trouble is finding one. I was lucky enough to find an unwanted neglected one which I rescued to put to good use.

I am after a wheelie bin for hay. I did think of phoning the council and seeing if they would give me a replacement for one that has gone 'missing' or getting a friend to request a bottle or cardboard one that they don't really need :oops:

However my conscience has got the better of me so I guess I will phone and see if they will sell me one. Failing that I will have to trawl the streets looking for one! Actually I know PWS Greenline sell them so I will price them up too!

Bunnyhopper - how do you get the hay out of the bottom of the bin? We are all titches in our house and I have visions of falling in!

Vanessa xx

hiya
I use an old Duvet cover...i go to the farm shop grab the bale of hay in the duvet cover pop it in the car (no hay gets left in the boot much to hubbys delight!) and then pop the bale and duvet in the shed!

I get my hay from Dust Free, but I am also going to a farm craft shop type place at the weekend to get a bale from there to try. I store mine in a water butt I got off eBay for £10. It was brand new and unused, and is the type with a normal lid on rather than sealed, so still allows the air in. Water and Rodent proof ,and stops the hay blowing about so you don't end up looking like a mad farmer with hay sticking out of your hair on a windy day!:D

My friend uses a 'bale bag' that she bought at a saddlery, which is pretty good. I use an Ikea dog food bag!

I always end up looking like a mad farmer too:lol:!

Tip of the day!
I keep mine in a clean wheelie bin dusbin. The large ones are just the right size for a bale of hay, if you squash it in, the lid keeps it all dry, and you can move it about if you want to, and it is mouse proof.

The only trouble is finding one. I was lucky enough to find an unwanted neglected one which I rescued to put to good use.

This is what I do now :D

I am after a wheelie bin for hay. I did think of phoning the council and seeing if they would give me a replacement for one that has gone 'missing' or getting a friend to request a bottle or cardboard one that they don't really need :oops:

However my conscience has got the better of me so I guess I will phone and see if they will sell me one. Failing that I will have to trawl the streets looking for one! Actually I know PWS Greenline sell them so I will price them up too!

Bunnyhopper - how do you get the hay out of the bottom of the bin? We are all titches in our house and I have visions of falling in!

Vanessa xx

When I phoned my council they were very unhelpful, 'we do not SELL bins, you have to make do with the one you have......'
The ones you buy are rather expensive...
I put a shout out on my local freecycle site, and someone came back with a lost and lonely bin that had been left abandoned - just the job.

Oh, and you obviously haven't seen me standing on my head in the bin with my feet sticking out of the top! :shock:
When it gets near the bottom, I put the hay in a black bag, so I can lift it easily to get to it, cos I'm only a shorty too. The bins are easy to tip over to sweep the remainder out of the bottom - send the children in with a brush!!!

I use an old single duvet cover too. Easy to put over the bale and take home in the car with no mess. I leave it in the cover inside a shed.

When I phoned my council they were very unhelpful, 'we do not SELL bins, you have to make do with the one you have......'
The ones you buy are rather expensive...
I put a shout out on my local freecycle site, and someone came back with a lost and lonely bin that had been left abandoned - just the job.

Oh, and you obviously haven't seen me standing on my head in the bin with my feet sticking out of the top! :shock:
When it gets near the bottom, I put the hay in a black bag, so I can lift it easily to get to it, cos I'm only a shorty too. The bins are easy to tip over to sweep the remainder out of the bottom - send the children in with a brush!!!

Thanks for the info and advice. :D Am going to try the council tomorrow - you never know, they may be more amenable in Bolton!

Vanessa xx

Back