• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Blind Bunnies

Rabbit1986

Alpha Buck
I'm am just wondering how you tell if your bunny is blind? Sorry strange question, but i was wondering if its obvious? I mean do they bump into things when things get moved about, explore new areas very carefully and throughly before running about, and do they fall off things? Or is it much harder than that to tell? I've just read about a couple of people with blind buns and it just got me thinknig. :oops:

Oooh I dont know apart from things which are obvious like a white eye cataract type thingy I dont knwo if they bump into things? I imagine their sense of direction would be pretty good?

My blind bunny gets on really well, you wouldn't know there was anything wrong with her sight, but she is with 2 seeing bunnies which helps a lot. It did take her a very long time to have the confidence to use the ramp from hutch to run.

My partailly sighted bunnies do get very startled, sometimes they don't realise I'm in the room until I make a movement and then they dart off banging their feet. However they do have hearing problems too.

My blind bunny gets on really well, you wouldn't know there was anything wrong with her sight, but she is with 2 seeing bunnies which helps a lot. It did take her a very long time to have the confidence to use the ramp from hutch to run.

My partailly sighted bunnies do get very startled, sometimes they don't realise I'm in the room until I make a movement and then they dart off banging their feet. However they do have hearing problems too.

Do your buns scan

Is there any way to tell if your rabbit is blind? Like a tell tale sign. My brother in law has a baby bunny, well shes about 6 months old and there are a couple of things that suggest there is something not right. She is very easily startled but that may be because she hasn't been handled all that well and at times her eyes can appear cloudy, but not all the time, just when shes sleepy. She doesn't scan. And she still darts about and seems quite confident. I just wondered if there was a way to tell.

Is there any way to tell if your rabbit is blind? Like a tell tale sign. My brother in law has a baby bunny, well shes about 6 months old and there are a couple of things that suggest there is something not right. She is very easily startled but that may be because she hasn't been handled all that well and at times her eyes can appear cloudy, but not all the time, just when shes sleepy. She doesn't scan. And she still darts about and seems quite confident. I just wondered if there was a way to tell.

Its possible she has hearing problems, as they seem to startle more easily than blind ones. Its worth getting her eyes checked out if they appear cloudy.

The bunny which I'm looking after now..which is going to Hugo's_there at the weekend..handles his blindness exceptionally well.He does the whole scanning thing where he stands still but he sways from side to side slowly.It amazes me how he finds places to climb in to without much effort.To look at his eyes,as I've never had a REW before,i do think his eyes look weird but there's no obvious sign that he's blind by looking at them xx

If you take your rabbit to see a savvy vet they will be able to perform a set of stimuli tests and by measuring reactions they can tell if your rabbit is partially sighted or blind and will also examine the eye for any obvious deformities.

Yes,I took the rabbit I'm looking after to my vets (who i trust 100%) and she tried some things which would usually get a reaction from a rabbit..but he didn't react to anything.

are all rews partially sighted?

i think minstrel is. she doesn't scan, but if you go to stroke her from above she gets startled so i always let her sniff my hand and give her a nose rub first. but then other times i swear she can see us through the kitchen window about 6 ft away. whenever she has pellets you have to put them right under her nose or she won't realise they are there, unless cadbury has some

are all rews partially sighted?

i think minstrel is. she doesn't scan, but if you go to stroke her from above she gets startled so i always let her sniff my hand and give her a nose rub first. but then other times i swear she can see us through the kitchen window about 6 ft away. whenever she has pellets you have to put them right under her nose or she won't realise they are there, unless cadbury has some

They are very short sighted and have to scan in order to focus. All rabbits have a blind spot directly infront of their nose so they wont see you approach them from that angle or see an object unless they can smell it.

Back