• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Methods of travel?

Becki xX

Warren Veteran
I've been stressing about collecting Rhia ever since I left her at Lynnes :roll: Shes a nightmare to travel with, and seems to be getting worse. We cant use a carrier in the car anymore because she'll just flake out, look horribley like shes mouth breathing, and cant stand or anything, completely limp. Its horrible, and the best method I've found is holding her to my body with a towel tightly wrapped round us both...but this is far from ideal. Does anyone know of any other way of travelling to make it easier? Thanks X

Does she not relax during the travel if she is in the carrier?

Did you try placing the carrier facing you so she can recognize you?

Hi Becki

All I can think of is taking the top part of the carrier away and sitting her in the bottom part (open) on your knee so that you can constantly stroke and talk to her?

Lian x

Thanks for replies. She doesnt relax at all whilst shes in the carrier (we always have the carrier facing us too), whether the top is off or on, her breathing is just scary. We dont have a hatchback (I dont think? :oops:), but when I try taking her out of the carrier to have the run of the back seats, she has none of it & just goes back to lying in the carrier doing the 'propping her head up against the side trying to breathe' thing. I thought about a soft crate but I dont think it would make a difference. Its just such a stressful experience :(

I'm sorry I don't have suggestions to add here, but I just wanted to say, Becki, that I met Rhia last time I went to Lynnes (Frankie and Jenny were in the hutch below Rhia's) and she's beautiful and soooooooo friendly :love: She's a really lovely bun :D

I'm sorry I don't have suggestions to add here, but I just wanted to say, Becki, that I met Rhia last time I went to Lynnes (Frankie and Jenny were in the hutch below Rhia's) and she's beautiful and soooooooo friendly :love: She's a really lovely bun :D

Aww did you? :D She is lovely, but it makes you glow to hear other people say it doesnt it :lol: X

Hi,have you seen the pet carriers thats more like a bag.The rabbit cat whatever inside can breathe because of the special material but it's duller inside so they maybe calm down or you could have it with the zip bit open a wee bit so you can pet your bunny.What about maybe playing a wee bit of music not too loud or take one of her favourite toys.All the best.

could you bring a blanket or something that smells like her or her cage?

We always use the covers off the top of the box in her hutch that she sits on, doesnt seem to make a difference to be honest. Thinking its maybe going to be 'just one of those things' - its just so stressful! She has her eyes checked when we go to the vets (both vet & I are paranoid as last two bunnies have gone blind..) and the last time she couldnt even check properly because her pupils were crazily dilated :?

Hi,have you seen the pet carriers thats more like a bag.The rabbit cat whatever inside can breathe because of the special material but it's duller inside so they maybe calm down or you could have it with the zip bit open a wee bit so you can pet your bunny.What about maybe playing a wee bit of music not too loud or take one of her favourite toys.All the best.

Think your talking about the soft crates? :) We have considered this, guess its maybe worth a try...but everything we've used to confine her up to now shes laid with her head up against the side struggling for breath - concerns me that there is no air holes & She cant move to get air...:?

Laura, I wondered about a small crate - Definately a possibility to try! :)

Hiya.

The last couple of bunny runs we did, we used a 4ft indoor cage and stuffed it full of vet bed and hay. Both bunnies travelled really well. I obviously don't know if they would have been nervous in a carrier so it's difficult to judge but I'd say it was worth a go. It meant that the buns were able to have a bowl of water (and a bottle as we didn't know what they were used to). We also partially covered the cage with a towel so the buns didn't see things zapping past the windows.

Back