• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

sniffing and growling are these good signs ?

carmen

Warren Scout
Hi

So as first time they met, Hugo started beating Molly, now they live in separate quarters.

We hope to get Molly more used to the new environment before attempting a new encounter at the weekend.

Molly is in a room where Hugo has no access to whilst Hugo rules the house, expect for the bathroom (neutral). The door that separates them has about 1 inch of space underneath. The bunnies know about each other and have started coming sniffing under the door. However when they both are at the door they start growling and look like they would start a fight if they could.

Is this a good bonding sign? We were hoping they would get used to each other's smell before the next encounter :roll:

Thank you
Carmen

Erm, no I wouldn't have thought growling is a good sign coming from any animal :?

One rabbit we once had used to always growl just before she tried to attack my dad.

I agree unfortunately.... growling is normally agressive... if they don;t get on, I advise you don;t push them together as it will make things worse and you will end up at the vet's! You might have to think about keeping them seperate for good...:(

Unfortunatelly we just had to come to that conclusion tonight.

We hoped they would get better as time goes by but as Molly gains more confidence it is getting worse. As soon as they can smell each other they want to fight. :cry:

Hugo started showing signs of distress now, he is jumpy, he looks very upset and comes after us everywhere we go. Before he was quite independent. Now he seems quite insecure and needy. Also he started urinating in his sleep which I am finding most distressing and worrying. He is definetly sleeping as we can see him. It happened twice already.

We are going to take Molly back at the weekend. Maybe she needs a home by herself. And Hugo is happier just him and us. I just wonder, she was with the rescue since December and we were told they usually try and pair the rabbits but Molly was not bonded. Maybe that was a sign that she needs to go alone?

Anyway, thank you for all your help and advice
Carmen

Hi Carmen,

I am really sorry to hear about your bunnies. I have taken a couple of days off work to try and bond my two again.

I am sure Molly will be adopted again and have a lovely home. Perhaps you could try again with hugo but get a rescue centre to do the bonding for you?

Good luck whatever you decide:bunny:

Hi -

Thank you for that.

I am really hoping Molly will get a better caring family then us. I think we will give it a break for now but definetly next time I will be sure to ask if they will help us with the bonding and definetly ask if Hugo can go and choose the wife.

I just think is so unfair on poor Molly but also on Hugo and I feel our duty is more towards Hugo. Although Molly is lovely too and I hope she will find a better home soon :(

But it is really good to hear about your pair!! That is really nice. I'll keep an watch for photos when they are all cuddled together.

Back