• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abbcess advice please!

mudchild

Warren Scout
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone has had experience of a mouth abbcess in their bun?

My girl has got one which is being treated with antiobiotics.
She is very thin as she has difficulty eating so surgery is not an option.

I am syringe feeding her a few times a day with supreme recovery and also am soaking pellets incase she will eat them. She is loving the syringe feeding and is happy to be fed.
She is very very poorly and the vet says i will need to inject her everyday other day for the next two weeks and then we will see how she is. He sort of said she may not recover so i just wanted to know if anyone has gone throu something similar??? any help/ideas?
Thanks

whereabouts in her mouth is the abscess? Baytril is rarely a strong enough antibiotic for abscesses, the problem being the bacteria are all safely hidden in the wall of the abscess, away from the bloodstream carrying antibiotic. Usually unless the abscess is cleaned of pus daily, and stronger antibiotics given by injection, the abscess will actually spread and make more abscesses. She will be in pain most likely, so is she having painkillers daily too?

hello,

Its right in the centre at the front, i have only had her 3 weeks or so and she had, had her front teeth removed.
No its just anti-biotics she is having I was worried about that as she must be in alot of pain.

I havent been told to clear the pus out so do you think i should be doing that?

Thanks loads, I am so worried about her....

Hi there, my heart goes out to you, my brambles had an abscess on his mouth due to dental problems, if your bun is really thin I found that syringe feeding cereal based ie porridge baby food out of a jar really helped Brambles certainly loved this which got his weight back up to normal so he could have surgery, good luck xx

Last edited:
I've got a rabbit, Jess, who had her front teeth removed and then developed an abscess under her tongue. The vets didn't think she would survive it, they cleaned the abscess as best they could under a GA and we then injected her with a penicillin type antibiotic, once ever 2 days for 7 weeks. We used betamox, but there are other here with more experience of abscess and the best antibiotics to use. What I wanted to add, was we started to give her manuka honey orally, we got honey with a UMF (unique manuka factor-i think) of 15. I just gave her about a quarter of a teaspoon a day for about 4 weeks, she started to object more as she got better :lol: It was very fiddly and messy- but she's still here and the abscess is gone. I don't know if it was just the antibiotic or if the honey helped but I would do the same thing again if another got an abscess in the mouth.

thanks so much for the replys - going to give them a try.
Got the vets again tonight so will see how it goes - the abbcess seems to be getting bigger but she is being such a little sweetie and trying her best to take the food im giving her.
thanks again xx

Back