• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny problem - help!

Emm-Jane76

Mama Doe
I have a problem with one of my bunnies. She was spayed in January after humping everything in sight but she is still doing it!

When they are all playing in the garden she'll go to each one in turn and just hump them! The other bunnies are not impressed and will chase her - so she'll go into hiding for a couple of minutes before coming out and choosing her next victim! She seems to be becoming ostricised from the group. It's such a shame. Her social skills leave a lot to be desired!

Is this normal? She'll even hump big bad Dunc and she's half the size!

010.jpg

My mummy says I need lessons in social eitiquette x

Awww, bless her! She is randy isn't she :lol:. I would just say it takes a while for her hormones to settle down. Either that or she is trying to dominate the other rabbits. Are they all bonded, or do they just play together?

Duncan and Frank are bonded and Penny and Sally are bonded. They just play together in the garden. I think part of it is dominance but she never seems to learn her lesson when she gets chased and chastised off the other buns!

Is she one of the bonded pairs you mention above? If you are putting her with rabbits she is not actually living with and then seperating her this is why she is humping them. Rabbits bond when they spend time together, sort out their heirarchy, by mounting amongst other things, and then settle down. Each time they are split this heirarchy is broken and has to be re-establised each time they meet. She will even hump her bonded partner as the whole social network she is used to is being unsettled.

Is she one of the bonded pairs you mention above? If you are putting her with rabbits she is not actually living with and then seperating her this is why she is ####### them. Rabbits bond when they spend time together, sort out their heirarchy, by mounting amongst other things, and then settle down. Each time they are split this heirarchy is broken and has to be re-establised each time they meet. She will even #### her bonded partner as the whole social network she is used to is being unsettled.

Thanks for that - that has really made sense to me. I've never thought of it like that. She is one of the bonded pairs I mentioned previous. I haven't got room at present to have them all living together so they are in two seperate hutches. Do you think if i put them in something like a summer house, they would sort themselves out and live quite peacefully?

Definately a good chance - if they get along apart from the mounting I'd say she'll get it out her system and settle down pretty quickly; just make sure you keep the space you are going to put them all neutral and introduce them to it all together so there are no turf issues.

Back