• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

on what grounds can the rspca cease animals

I don't think they can if they are fed, watered, in good sized accomodation and don't look ill or neglected

Welcome to the forum by the way :wave:

If they have an illness which isn't being treated or if they are in pain which is not treated. Also if they are being physically abused I would assume?

did you ask your local rspca? can they not tell you? i am sure they can't just come and take the pet away without explaining why :roll:

I think generally if the RSPCA is called out to somewhere and the animal is not in "immediate danger" [although that seems to vary from officer to officer] then all they can do is serve an improvement notice [if something is actually wrong such as enclosure size, food etc, which it sounds like it isn't] and come back to check at a later date. If the animal is in danger/suffering then they can either put it to sleep if it is deemed fairer, or remove the animal.

That's my take on it, someone correct me if it's not accurate.

I'm pretty sure that if they are fed watered, clean, in suitable accomadation and showing no signs of illness or injury (that is not being treated) then your friend has nothing to worry about.

The RSPCA visit me regulary and i often have buns left with me that are in varying states of neglect. I can always prove (if necessary) that they are under treatment. (they do contact vets to check) I have no problem that people contact the RSCPA even if in my case its not justified (i run a rescue)
If you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about.

It would be a good idea to check with your local branch

Last edited:
I think they might take animals away if there were more than they thought you could justifiably cope with, eg an elderly person with 25 cats....even if they were all healthy or if the number of animals constituted an environmental health problem or impacted too adversly smell/noise wise on the neighbours.

I think you need to look at the Animal Welfare Act and it should explain. If you have concerns about some animals you have seen, then you should report any concerns to the RSPCA.

The RSPCA can remove animals under the Animal Welfare Act but only if they have an 'Inspector' with them. That's someone appointed by the local authority (often an animal warden) not necessarily an RSPCA Inspector (that's a different job title). They can also take animals away if the owner agrees to sign them owner.

The act makes it a duty of care to provide:

* a suitable environment (how it is housed);
* a suitable diet (what it eats and drinks);
* the ability to exhibit normal behaviour patterns;
* any need it has to be housed with, or apart from, other animals; and
* protection from pain, suffering, injury and disease.

The guidelines for rabbits have not been finished so there are no set rules on what a suitable environment for rabbits are though 5'-6' hutch is considered suitable by most welfare orgs.

If the RSPCA find an owner not meeting one of the duty of care's then can issue an improvement notice. That's basically a document saying what the problem is, what should be done to correct and a timescale to do it.

These might not be issued if the animals in immediate danger.

If the person failed to complete the items in the improvement notice then the rspca (or animal warden) would seize the animals and may prosecute the owner under the act.

More info here:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare/act/affect.htm#9
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare/act/index.htm

As your friend had a visit from the RSPCA and had an improvement order or even been advised as to whats could be done. I am almost positive if the order r advice hasn't been acted upon then they can ask the owner to sign them over or be prosecuted and get them siezed. If it was me in a situation like your friend I would sign them over rather than be prosecuted, it must be a pretty awful situation for your friend to be in.

Back