• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bad reaction to anisthetic-U/D mass in stomach-possible cancer!

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
hi all
My bunny Angel went in for a routine dental yesterday which he has had before and been fine. I brought him home and he was very wobbly, he just sat and didn't want to move. I thought nothing of it but then he stayed like this and after a few hours i knew he should have perked up. There was no droppings or wee So i took him to the emergency vet and he said that he could be experiencing pain or could be the anisthetic. he kept him in and gave him extra painkiller. This moring when i rang he said he was much perkier and had nibbled some carrot. they are keeping him for a bit longer but hopefully he is out of the woods.
i just wondered if this is common as i haven't had this happen before in 10 years! and am a little worried if he has another dental.

Last edited:
Hi,

Every rabbits reacts differently to an aneasthetic and while on one occassion they may not need much to knock them out, you might find that on another they need more.

I had a rabbit who had regular dentals and went under fairly easily without needing much anaesthetic and always bounced back straight away. On one occassion she needed quite a lot of painful work doing to her mouth so she was really knocked out and doped up on vetergesic. She was wobbly for two days....and her wee was illuminous green! :oops:

I had this with my Penny when she went in for her spay. Sally was as right as reign but Penny was very quiet and seemed to have laboured breathing. I took her back to the vet the next day after staying up with her all night and he said it was probably a bad reaction to the anisthetic. After about 24 hours she was back to her old self. Another 24 hours later she decided to rip her stitches out! I was dreading it when the vet said he would have to put her under again but that was the only way. He used a different anisthetic that time and she seemed absolutely fine. A good job aswell because she chewed her stitched out another two times!

If your bun has reacted badly just make sure it is on her notes and you mention it to your vet the next time around.
Em x

The vet just rang to say that Angel is looking quite depressed and not as good as he thought. he's had another vet look at him and they think they can feel a mass in his stomach. They are doing an x-ray and ringing me back later but they do fear it could be cancer! Even after his bad reaction yesterday they did think it was better to do the x-ray straight away, althoguh not ideal as they fear he may get poorly if left a few days. I am in shock! I just lost a bunny 3 weeks ago, i can't bare to lose another!:(
He wasn't eating yesterday and has been a little off colour the last few weeks although nothing major so we did think it was his teeth and he did have some spurs.
I'm trying to be positive but whatever the outcome it doesn't look good. Any advice?

I know it's hard but at least he's in the right hands. Try and stay positive for Angel and we'll see what the vet says after the x-ray. Keep us posted and lots of positive vibes sent from me and the bunnies,
Em x

Oh gosh Lisa, I really hope it's nothng serious, how old is Angel?

Sending lots of vibes xx

angel is 6 and has been quite perky lately apart from being off his food now and then, but he did look really poorly after the op and the vet thought then it could be pain rather than just the anisthetic.
I just have a bad feeling about it all...

It *might* just be impacted ingesta. If his guts have been slugish this can happen. Spurs -> discomfort -> reduced gut motility -> reduced appetite -> further reduced gut motility -> dry impacted ingesta in guts.

It *might* not be a cancer and I am keeping everything crossed that you will have better news from the Vet soon

Janex :)

thanks everyone
right as always Jane!
Good news is there is no obstruction or cancer!! but he is in stasis and not very happy. the vet is keeping him in and giving him injections to hopefully get his guts moving. I have just taken lots of tempting food in for him in the hope he will have some. i have to ring again in the morning. I'm so worried as i know how serious this can be and have lost a bunny through this before. I just hope he has enough fight in him.

I was wondering whether i should suggest bringing him home tomorrow, even if it's just for the day. he would then be in familiar surroundings and be able to see his mate. Would this maybe be too stressful? i did have his mate with him at the vet but she decided it was a good idea to take advantage of him and hump and bite him to gain dominance while the poor fella is down!! It so hard to know what to do for the best! should I leave him at the vet? i just don't know. I just hope that he perks up and I can bring him home anyway but i have a feeling that it may take some time.

That is good news, as I was reading this post and read Jane's it was exactly what I was thinking (because my vet referred to a "blockage" as mass in one of mine and you immediately think the worst!).

Sometimes buns are better in their own environment. When mine was ill, they went in for the day but then came home at tea time. They are very fussy where they go to the loo and I don't think mine would go in the vets!!

Sending some eating and pooping vibes.

Back