• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When you get your new buns home questions and more

CLAREM1

Warren Scout
What did you bring them home in the car in any tips?

Can they go straight into their new happyhutch home outside or will they get scared do they need a night inside first?

Has anybody got any pictures of how the sykes hutch and run combo is set out?

How often does everybody clean out is it a tidy up everyday and a full disinfect once a week or more than once a week?

Any other tips I am a complete new mum on this! :oops:

welcome to the happy world of rabbits!! (and rabbits united!):wave:.

Just so everyone can be maximum helpful could you possibly answer a couple of questions?

How old are your new rabbits?
Are they from a petshop which has had them indoors in a confined heated area, or from a rescue where they may have been living a more normal life?
Do you know what they have been fed where they came from?
Are they male and female?
Have they been neutered?
have they had their innnnoculations yet?

Is there a large run with your hutch?

Seems like lots of questions I know - but it all makes such a difference!!:)

I brought my buns home in a pet carrier
If it was me, id put them straight outside if thats where they are going to be living as i think its best they can settle in as early as possible to their proper home. Having them in one night, then out the next would probably be more unsettling for them - unless they had previously been living inside in which case id wait a little bit longer and put them outside when its a bit warmer.
I clean out litter trays etc and give little sweep and wipe if needed daily, and proper clean just when it needs it. Normally once a weekish

I would give them a day or two to settle in before overly lavishing them in affection! This way they wont get so scared being in a new place etc. If you can bring some bedding (you could put it in the carrier too) from the place they were before and put it in the hutch it would help as it would give them a familiar scent. Hope this helps and enjoy your new bunnies :D

Just so everyone can be maximum helpful could you possibly answer a couple of questions?

Are they from a petshop which has had them indoors in a confined heated area, or from a rescue where they may have been living a more normal life?
Have they been neutered?

Hi there no thats great I need all the help advice I can get
They will be about 10 weeks old when I get them
They are male and female un - neutered but that is first thing on my list along with the vaccinations
I have the biggggg hutch with run from happy hutch but also just enquiring about getting a temporary second hutch from somebody advertising as they are boy/girl

Have they been neutered?

Oh yeah they have come from an unexpected litter but are really well looked after and are in a shed at the moment so definately a more normal life!

Its probably a good idea you do keep them separate as they are un-neutered and most likely brother and sister. Your vet probably wont neuter them for a few months yet - but all vets are different - which is more than enough time for them to have babies! Id probably also keep them inside for a bit as they are still really quite young and probably wont be equipped to deal with the cold right now. And if they are separate they wont even have each other to snuggle into to keep warm. Also if they havent yet had their vaccinations its best also to keep them inside -as there would be less chance of getting myxomatosis etc incase of contact with wild rabbits etc. Just as a precaution.
Although keep them separate, try and keep them next to each other and so they can sniff etc through the cages so it will be easier to re-bond them once they have been neutered.

Hi Clare,
I think I am in exactly the same position as you lol!
Mine will be 8 weeks and I bring them home on Sunday.
They are also brother and sister. We first thought them to be both girls, bu thats life!
My other half has just built them a 6x2x2 hutch, and it will have a run underneath. What we are doing is putting a temporary mesh partition in the hutch until they are 'done' and will split them at 12 weeks to be on the safe side! They will also be in the run seperate.

The vets I have called won't do them until 16 weeks, so they will be apart but able to see each other for 4 weeks.

Mine have been in a shed too, so will be going straight outside. I am going to use Profleece in their hutch once I have them litter trained.

Oh and I have the same name as you too!

Clare

Hi Clare,
They are also brother and sister. We first thought them to be both girls, bu thats life!
My other half has just built them a 6x2x2 hutch, and it will have a run underneath. What we are doing is putting a temporary mesh partition in the hutch until they are 'done' and will split them at 12 weeks to be on the safe side! They will also be in the run seperate.

The vets I have called won't do them until 16 weeks, so they will be apart but able to see each other for 4 weeks.

Mine have been in a shed too, so will be going straight outside. I am going to use Profleece in their hutch once I have them litter trained.

Clare

How nice is this ? :D

OH Excellent

Hi Clare,

Clare

:wave:
Its so exciting isn't it you will have to let me know how your getting on what a good idea about partitioning the hutch and run if anybody has any ideas about how to do this with the sykes hutch and run combo from happyhutch let me know at least then they won't get completely lonely will they
I've spoken to our local vet and they said they would neuter from 12-14 weeks so thats quite good and they said if its too expensive to do both at once then they advise to get the male done first.

Keep in touch!

I'm not sure how my other half is doing the partition, I think he mentioned putting cheapie wood batons around the inside of the hutch, then just staple some mesh on. Would be easy to remove this as well! Obviously one will have the run access and one will have the bedroom, so I will put the carrier in the side without the bed, and give them equal time in the run.

This is my hutch, almost done, but the run is not started yet!

DSC02699.jpg

Last edited:
I agree it's best you put the buns straight in their cage so they can settle in sooner rather than later.
I clean litter trays either daily or every other day and the whole cage is cleaned and disinfected once every 10 days...
Good Luck!

Back