• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone grow dandelions specifically for their bunnies? :)

casu consulto

Mama Doe
Originally, I just made sure various dandelions were left alone in the garden so I could nick a few leaves... But last year I grew two trays of them, and the leaves were lovely and light green. ^^' The ones outdoors tend to have tougher looking leaves. Barney loved them, and when Amber came, she seemed to like them too (although, Amber loves EVERYTHING). I'm now watching about 6 flowering dandelions closely, waiting for the fluffy white 'clock' to form so I can harvest some seeds and do it again. :lol:

I collected lots of plantain seeds at the end of last year, also, and will be growing those, too...

Anyone else do this sort of thing?

Ive never thought of growing dandes specially for the rabbits,I do make sure they don't get pulled up in the garden tho,I tend to treat them more as a crop than weeds..lol.

I'm growing lots of herbs this year with bunnies in mind ,parsley,coriander,basil,oregano.....daresay i shall use some of the herbs for cooking too !

I'm thinking of growing dandelions and other herbs in tubs or pots as I don't have many on my garden and any that are there aren't clean because of the dogs.

I think that is a great idea! My dandelions are flowering at the moment, so I shall be collecting the seeds soon and planting them in trays:D

Oooh, I've grown herbs, too! ^^ I went down to Wilkinsons last summer, and raided their seed collection for Basil, Thyme, Parsely...

The dandelions just surprised me last year. They looked all... light and fluffy!

There's definately the added bonus of knowing they're 'clean'. We have four cats here, plus the two from our neighbours across the road. :rolleyes: They like rolling on them.

I've left my garden for years now and the dandelions and plantian have gradually spread over a larger and larger area - I have a small harvest every week, but I need well over 100 leave just for them to have a few each :shock:

I haven't done but there are a few flowers in next doors garden so I might grab a few seeds and grow some. Jake especially loves them!

I bought dandelion seeds last year in the hope of growing loads, but they didn't take - not even one:(

I bought dandelion seeds last year in the hope of growing loads, but they didn't take - not even one:(
I did the same and mine didn,t take either:cry:
Got home last night though and one of the neighbours had left me a huge carrier bag full of them.

I've left my garden for years now and the dandelions and plantian have gradually spread over a larger and larger area - I have a small harvest every week, but I need well over 100 leave just for them to have a few each :shock:

Really? I thought plantains were bananas:lol:

I have cleared a large patch and collected loads of dandilion seeds, wild grass, dock seeds and loads of herbs that rabbits like, Its growing well and will look good with the rabbit runs on soon !!!

no, there are quite enough already, they dont need any encouragement! it always amazes me that you can buy dandelion seeds. i will however be growing some plantains indoors cos we dont have any of those. how do you go about harvesting the seeds?

Back