• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any ideas why Peaches is sneezing a lot?

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Our little Peaches seems to sneeze a lot.

She is about 8 months old, a lionhead cross, and very very healthy, but she keeps sneezing. Its a sort of 'pfff' noise as though she has dust or something in her nose. and she also rubs her nose when she has made the noise. Sometimes she makes the sneezing noise a lot in a short time like having a sneezing fit if you had accidentally sniffed up dust or something.

I don't remember when she started doing it - maybe she has always done it a little bit - but the last couple of weeks she is doing it quite a lot more than before.

They have the same hay as always and none of the other 11 rabbits are sneezing - though she does seem to do it most when she is eating either hay or pellets.

She is an indoor bun in the evening/at night and an outdoor bun when the sunshines during the day! her partner Parsley is not sneezing. at all.

any ideas? Could it be her own fine hairs??? or should we be worried?? Her eyes look bright and fine and there are no other 'symptoms'. Her teeth were fine when last checked a few weeks ago (when I forgot to mention the sneezing as it was not so bad then).

Last edited:
If her sneezing has increased and you have not changed any routine I would be concerned and would even go to the stage of keeping her away from the others until you are sure - not sure how many she is bonded with. If her partner is not showing signs he may have very good immunity, snuffles is one of those things that can affect one bun but not another.
A friend of mine infected 8 buns from just one little chap that started by sneezing occasionally :cry:

Louisa

She could maybe have developped an allergy to sawdust if you use this.... I know my bunny, my partner and I all developped the allergy (and my partner now has asthma!) because there was too much dust in the litter. I changed it to Carefresh, which is a bit more expensive, but definitely much better quality!

Back