• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! An unexpected baby!!!

jacki

New Kit
Help!! We have just adopted a rabbit (found wandering the local countryside!). She is extremely tame, loves cuddles and I think she has beena house rabbit. We bought an indoor cage and she seems very happy. Last week we noticed she was stuffing loads of her straw and sawdust into the covered area. Got in from work today and my son said she was pulling fur out. I thought she might have been bored (!) so put her in her outside hutch! I started looking on the web and discovered that fur pulling was a sign of imminent birth! With this and the nesting bit I decided to take a look. I found one kit, quite large, about 4 inches in length, it was not breathing or moving at all. I thought it was best to remove it, it was definitely dead, and put mum back into her hutch. She didnt seem very bothered, but did start pulling out more fur. I left her alone for a while and she has re-organised her nest but has been tucking into her food too.

Can I expect more babies, as a lot of people say that one baby is very unusual. I think she may have mated with a wild rabbit but i don't know. The baby looked just like her (black and white). I don't know how to feel for more babies, if I didn't know there was one there in the first place how do I know if there's more?! Mum seems fine and indifferent as to what seems to have happened.

Any advice will be most welcome.

oh I dont have any advice but I hope this bunny will be ok,I am sure someone on here will be able to give you some excellent advice,is the bunny a wild rabbit colour?Have you taken her to the vets?I hope all goes well and glad she has a good home now

No the bunny is a black and white one, she's definitely not a wild rabbit she's so tame. I think she's just escaped from someones back garden and after many attempts such as knocking on doors on the remote spot she was found, looked in local pet shops, couldnt find anyone who has lost a rabbit. Shes gorgeous and as I'm an animal lover anyway, 2 dogs and a parrot, im sure she'll appreciate her new home!!
I'll take her to the vets to get checked over as a precaution. Many thanks

oh I dont have any advice but I hope this bunny will be ok,I am sure someone on here will be able to give you some excellent advice,is the bunny a wild rabbit colour?Have you taken her to the vets?I hope all goes well and glad she has a good home now

as long as she's eating well and seems comfortable within herself, I'm sure she'll be fine and the kit must've been a singleton... good idea to get a vet to check her over - and to give her a myxi jab (if she's been frolicing with wild buns, there's a risk she may have come into contact with it)
good luck with your new bunny! :D

Back