• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How big??

leoandoliver

Young Bun
I have two mini rex bunnies, age 10 wks. How big are they when they are full grown. I have read so many different things! At what age are they full grown? Does anyone have pics of thier grown mini rexes?

Here are my Katie and Captain.

Mini Rexes just about 2 years old. They're both about a foot long.

Katie is Captain's mummy and he was from a back to back litter. She was malnourished when she went into a rescue and gave birth to Captain and siblings (who didin't all survive) very soon afterwards - so both may not be as big as a mini rex would normally grow.

IMG_40292.jpg

How old is Floss and how big? Oh my the other person said hers were full grown at a foot long. The silly person who sold them to me said they would not get much larger than than 6 or 7 inches! The photos are lovley, I need to get some better ones of my babies soon.....

They do get to be about a foot long when adult, they're in between a Mini (Holland) Lop and a Dwarf Lop in size, but generally more slender in build.

How old is Floss and how big? Oh my the other person said hers were full grown at a foot long. The silly person who sold them to me said they would not get much larger than than 6 or 7 inches! The photos are lovley, I need to get some better ones of my babies soon.....

She weighs about 3/12 pounds. To be honest, I've never thought about her length, but I suppose she's about 12" long when in the meatloaf position.:lol:

The cage we built is a double decker that each floor measures 38 inches by 22 inches and 16 inches high, with a ramp connecting both floors. Will this be large enough to accomodate them when they are full grown? ( providing they manage to stay together...)

:lol: You wont find an adult rabbit 6" long, even nethies are longer than that - unless she means 6" when curled up, not when stretched out. Here is poppy, I believe she is a mini rex:

on my lap (shes the brown one)
22-03-08006cut.jpg

in comparison to a mail sack:
poppymail003.jpg

stretched out against a banister:
flake.jpg

That looks like the perfect fit for a lap bunny! They seem to be growing by the day.....I had a giant breed as a child and I guess i was afraid maybe these guys might get that big......she was bigger than some of our small dogs! Do you think they will fit in the cage we built that I described in the earlier post?

That looks like the perfect fit for a lap bunny! They seem to be growing by the day.....I had a giant breed as a child and I guess i was afraid maybe these guys might get that big......she was bigger than some of our small dogs! Do you think they will fit in the cage we built that I described in the earlier post?

Im afraid I wouldn't consider it big enough for two buns :( are they indoors or outdoors? could you describe the cage further or maybe post a picture?

They are indoor buns. Each floor of their cage is about 38 inches long, 22 inches wide and 16 inches deep. ( we just measured again to be sure.) It is two floors with a ramp connecting. I have to sort out how to load a photo so my son will have to help with that. It may not matter for now, as I just returned from the vet to find Oliver is an Olivia!! Oh no! Now I have to separate very soon and need to rethink accomodations. Their current home opens to a large bathroom ( 14ftx8ft) where they run whenever I am upstairs to supervise. ( About 3 hrs per day) We try to break this into 3 or 4 different outings)Anything anyone knows about separating or cage suggestions would be helpful. I will post a new thread on this too........

They are indoor buns. Each floor of their cage is about 38 inches long, 22 inches wide and 16 inches deep. ( we just measured again to be sure.) It is two floors with a ramp connecting. I have to sort out how to load a photo so my son will have to help with that. It may not matter for now, as I just returned from the vet to find Oliver is an Olivia!! Oh no! Now I have to separate very soon and need to rethink accomodations. Their current home opens to a large bathroom ( 14ftx8ft) where they run whenever I am upstairs to supervise. ( About 3 hrs per day) We try to break this into 3 or 4 different outings)Anything anyone knows about separating or cage suggestions would be helpful. I will post a new thread on this too........

From what you have written it seems that they are allowed out for 3 hours a day which means that they will be in the cage for 21 hrs out of every 24. The cage you describe is much to small for even one rabbit. The height of 16" isn't enough to let the rabbit periscope or stretch right up and the floor space is less than 6 sq ft and that's without subtracting the area lost by the ramp. The cage would be fine to use as a base, but it really needs another area or pen atttached to allow for more space when they are shut in.

Thanks for the info! we can add on easily since we made it out of those storage cube squares. They are so small right now that they can stand up all the way and even when stretched do not reach the top. We have to modify it anyhow since we just found one one is a girl. We were told they were both boys three weeks ago when we got them.

That sound good. There's a thread somewhere on here showing various set ups people have using these cubes.:)

another thing you can do is to attach a pen while they're locked in, which folds away when you let them out, so you don't have it taking up a ll your space when you're at home.

Back